Fishing in Scottish Lochs or open sea

Nobby1

Looking ahead to next years jolly, (this year is Weymouth) and general opinion is that Scottish sea Loch fishing looks to be good fun. Anyone done it before, know of good spots, B&B's (for 8)

Any help would be appreciated. (not looking for Trout or Salmon, but good Sea Fish) or alternatives.

you could do worse than base yourself at Oban.

loads of accomodation to suit all budgets.

from here you can charter a boat for skate fishing ( ronnie campbell 01631750213)

hire small boats in Loch Etive ( ronnie's cousin / brother can't remember)

travel for 45 mins to loch fyne where there is also a boat ( poor fishing generally)

shore wise there are loads of spots. etive, leven, fyne, lorne.

hope this helps.

Another option could be Fort William. You can fish around the town itself at the long stay carpark. Also you are in easy reach of numerous spots around Loch Leven and Linnhe and if you fancy taking a trip further west to places like Lochaline etc.

Norrie check your inbox!

Hiya,

As Dale says Oban would probably be your best option. The only other place worth trying would be down Luce bay area.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Agree with Davy, that Oban is a good option - relitively easy to get to, and great fishing can be had. - You did not say if it was from boat or shore - if shore I echo KennyC, with his Midgee warning -even from boat some days there is no escape if fishing inshore waters!!!!!!!

I do lots of sea loch fishing, my main area is Loch Roag here on the west coast of the Isle of Lewis from boat. We get a broad selection of species over a very variable sea bed - where it could be argued that the better fishing is always had inside the loch, as opposed to marks a mile or two of shore. The Cuckoo Wrasse picture I posted last week, was from a deepwater sea loch called Loch Shell - east coast of Lewis.

A typical May to September catch for a day (going by past few years) you could expect to catch 10-20 Haddock, 10-20 Whiting, 5-10 Cod, 5-10 Pollack, 2-3 Ling, 2-3 Red & Grey Gurnards, 2-4 Dabs, 2-4 Cuckoo Wrasee, 1-2 Ballan Wrasse, 1-2 Plaice, as many Mackerel as you want, as may Coalfish as you want, a few herring, the odd Tusk, the odd Launce, the odd Thornback - typically a day is finsihed with around 30-40 or so fish made up of around 5-11 species. This is genearlly fishing in marks ranging from 10-25 Fathom - if you targert a species, you usually get them (though Cod over past few years have not been so prolific in Loch Roag - but at the North end of Lewis (not a sea Loch) they were plentiful, last year me and three friends filled 4 boxes of cod in 3-4 hours, along with a box of Haddock, Coalfish, Mackerel and half box of Ling)

In Loch Roag, If we go into the shallower waters, anchoring up for a skate is an option - but during our trips most people on board are after a nice fry of whitefish for the freezer and never go for the skate - much to my annoyance, as I have never caught one. Same applies for the Tope marks. :confused:

Loch Roag is littered with good 'plate fish' marks, each producing different fish - some marks you just never know what is going to be caught, where as others you just know - ie shallow rocky marks producing Pollack, patches of sand/mud producing Dabs, Plaice and Gurnards - edge of the hard and soft throwing up at least a Ling.

If I had typed this 10-15 years ago, Spurdogs would of been very high on the catch list - I remember often winding up a catch of three of Spurs and seen a pack of others following all the way up to the surface - dont think I seen one Spurdog last year - commerically overfished way out at sea.

For us, it's Haddock that has been on the increase over the years, not often you tire of catching them, but they become a pest when targetting other species - we have set a limit of 15 of them a few years back, as there was just no sport in dropping down to the bottom and hiking three of them up as fast as you can. I pushed for our club to increase size limit this year also by 1cm, but I was shot down in flames. Probably since I typed this we will get hardly any Haddock this year !!!

We were getting so many Dabs and Red/Grey Gurnards we increased the size to 27cm (big Dab) - but this year had to take it back down on the Dab as we have not been getting insize ones so much as we expected.

I guess it depends on where you go sea loch fishing in Scotland, some are not as good as others from what I hear, and the point that I am trying to make is that sea lochs can deliver a broad range of species, so I would suggest bringing a broad selection of rigs and tackle for each eventuality. When we have our main Open event (The Western Isles Open) - most anglers that visit all come very well prepared with tackle for the numerous species, and know what to expect - though one or two still think that Hokeyes tipped with Mackerel are the ultimate sea fishing rig - and sit moaning all day when they are only cacthing Mackerel and Coalies, and changing baits for them is putting on a bigger or smaller bit of Mackerel. :rolleyes:

If fishing waters your unsure about, and its not to shallow - a three down rig of a boom with small baits on 1/0 or 2/0 Aberdeens - is a good general rig for seen what is down there. Also, fishing braided line when fishing baits helps with the tide and drift speed, and if fishing for Pollack or jigging lures in not to deep water I would recommended mono for the stretch (and not loosing precious braid) !!!!!

From the shore Loch Roag is as unpredictable as Hebridean weather - though fished correctly people are rarely dissapointed, there are plenty of marks that produce Thornbacks, LSD, Dabs, Gurnard, Wrasse, Pollack, Coalfish, Whiting, Conger and Cod - probably the most well known one is Breasclete Peir, which produces good catches of Thornbacks and LSD - as well as giving you a chance of a Common Skate from the shore if you tackle up or them, and are determinded enough, the British shore record comes from there (169lb 6 oz) - though people rarely targer them - also Lumpsuckers up to 10lb 8oz have came from there - as well as many many stories of the "one that got away". :D

There are various good sea lochs littered all the way up the west coast of Scotland, and I'm sure you will not be dissapointed.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Gillies

Your local fishing sounds marvelous. Would love to go up and try it. How would I get afloat ? are there locals I could hire for example ?. What is best time of year ?? I am based Hamilton and there could be 3/4 of us.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

KennyC:

If you plan to do the Sea Lochs choose your time carefully - the midges can be very annoying!!!

Avon Skin-so-soft...Woodland Fresh seen an article recently that said the US army uses either the dry oil spray or the bath oil, can't remember which.

From personal experience avoid end June, July, August and early Sept. In other words school hols.

Peter

The summer months, usually from June through to September are normally most productive. There are only one or two boats now that take parties of anglers out - many of the fishing boats shy away from it now, because of all the rules and regulations introduced. :rolleyes: but some will do trips.

I dont want to tout details on here, but I can only think of one proper boat for chartering (possibly another one this year also), that is Stornoway Sea Angling Club's boat, and that is out to charter all summer during the week, weekends are always used by club members for competitions etc. The boat is moored in Loch Roag, email/pm me for more info. Wish I could say check their web site, but their idiotic web developer has been busy, but I am assured he is working every spare moment on it, today even! :rolleyes:

Midges can sometimes be a pest - just find an area with slightest of breeze, and you are ok - and dont do the crazy thing of fishing in shorts :D Stay away from so called replenats, and try the Avon Skin-so-soft Sarah has mentioned. I use it when I am fresh water fishing on the Lochs - and it really does work, though you do need to keep applying it evey 30 mins or so.

From the shore you will pick up a number of speices during the summer and autumn month - this year though I hear a lot of people have been picking up rays and dogs from the shore from last summer until winter on correct tides. One unusual Winter Cod mark (a sea loch, within a sea loch) gives chance of a 20lb plus fish if you have the patience.

Skye is also a good option to try, and I think there is a number of charter boats there - but I may be wrong.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Camasnagaul on Linnhe is my favourite spot for shorefishing, you can fish this with Beachcaster, lure or fly (Thornback, Mackerel, Gurnard, Coalfish, Codling, Doggies, sea trout and a once a single flounder) I have also on numerous occasions been smashed to bits by things that have taken off across the loch), but I have also had fish from the long stay carp in Fort William, small stuff and Doggies. The Avon skin so soft is used by the forestry workers in Glen Garry to great effect against midges. My experience is however that if you plan to fish into or after dark the midges at the shore (unless there is a good blow) demands a bug coat.

Hope it helps.

You will see me on the shaw at Camasnagual both spring bank holiday and third week of June. Usually on a sunday before I hit the river on the Monday.