Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

Dont quote me spring, but going by the feedback from the trawlers its desperate, longliner shot 8 lines yesterday only 4 stone thats approx 1800 hooks, dont like to sound like the grim reaper but that is bad there is 5 boats longlineing at the momment or the was i think they have given it up as a bad job the only boat doing any good out of here is the one working the pipelines did very well again this week i think they had 500 boxes mixed fish pollock coalie cod etc they are fishing of norway and they have different quotas, good job .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

But you say "its fishing not to bad" ??

I heared a boat from these parts did well last week by blocking up the mesh in the cod end. What is this practice called and is it legal?

Guest jay_con
Originally posted by big_cod:

[QB] Dont quote me spring, but going by the feedback from the trawlers its desperate, longliner shot 8 lines yesterday only 4 stone thats approx 1800 hooks, "

Last week wurzel said the tides were too small. I wonder what he will say this week? too big perhaps? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or Perhaps there is no fish and the whole thing has already gone the way of the grand banks? Pear shaped

or tits up as soom might say.

Guest jay_con

Well it cant go on forever and like youve said many times before "its getting close". well perhaps it has happened - perhaps they have put themselves out of business.

Is it worth these longliners continuing to buy bait - surely 4 stone of fish wont even cover the bait prices.?

There will be no need for DEFRA to prosecute anyone and start enforcing the rules as its already too late

At whitby it is always scratchy at this time of year, even in good years, when we were there we always came home and put the boat in the yard for a refit at this time of year and did not go back untill the herring showed in Agust,

I thought it was the dead tides causeing the low catches but as you say the liners and the anglers are still not catching dispite good tides, Its the same here, although I think some anglers done a little better yesterday.

There are still cod here as I'm still catching some good fish even on these big tides, I am not fishing for them,and my nets are not in a good cod spot, a couple of boats that are netting for cod are doing alright at times, so they are not exstinct yet, still feeding on sprats and herring pahaps.

leon,

How come I have never experienced any of the things you discribe: small fish, smaller catches to many boats, to few fish ect ect ect

I fish to live and live to fish.

Jaffa:

Another one less for you to worry about @spring@

One less piece of fish killing equipment on the seas, more fish get to live :)

er!

But, leaving aside the fact that decommissioning money often finds it's way back into the fleet (increased investment in new technology etc) what happens to that boat's quota?

It stays with the fleet! (it's sold on by the previous owner)

So reducing the number of boats doesn't reduce the amount of fish that the fleet is allowed to take!!

All that happens is that another boat catches the fish that the decommissioned boat would have caught.

And some of that additional profit will probably also be invested in more new fish catching technology.

I'd hold off the celebrations @Spring@ :(

Tight Lines - leon

[ 27. March 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust