Bass Intelligence

sam-cox

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to challange that Socksy. My chickens are very, very, very, bungalow- plank - and brick-thick. If one of my chickens was pitted egainst even a small pollack in an IQ test I know which I would bet on :D:D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Do your chickens leave a bit of their grain to attract other food items? :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

It is difficult to make direct comparisons of intelligence between species and here we are dealing with two different families of animals.

Large fish have some learnt behaviour, they can be taught to come to the surface and feed from the owner's hand etc.

The chickens have a distinct pecking order, woe betide the chicken that goes on the wrong perch. They recognise the feed bucket and the cocks will scratch things up for the hens to eat and call them over.

Some birds are smarter, they will use a piece of stick as a tool etc.

In my opinion, large fish are not just instinct driven automata like insects but your pet cat is way ahead of the average tweeter.

What drives the elva to swim thousands of miles being predated all the way to swim up the rivers their parents came from???

As a feat it is awesome well beyond that of the salmon and if you think about well beyond the ability and endurance of anything you can compare it to.

It would be very difficult to attribute it to brain power, reasoning etc. They have not tasted the fresh water like salmon parr, they have no other homing devices and yet they make it in their millions.

Currents and water temperature may play a part in this epic journey but in the end instinct is the only controlling factor that can possibly select a river to swim into.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Not over the sort of distances they are raced, and many get lost even though they have the benefit of knowing home territory.

They are not in the same league as elvas and they do have benefit of a very small bird brain.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I think the bass in my tank lernt by chance, a bit of sqid that fell by the rocks atracted a shrimp, the bass saw the shrimp and ate it and remembered it. Its kind of positive reinforcement, the bass drops a bit of food next to the rocks is positivly reinforced by the shrimp comming out to feed and its self getting eaten by the bass.

It all depends on how one defines intelligence, if one was to go on spelling both myself and bass are as thick as mud. Although bass havnt invented the wheel yet when compaired with other fish such as say cod they are quite bright. Intelligence in animals is often judged by compairing it to human intelligence, this will always give a result of most animals being thick.

As for trolling anties, screw them this is an angling debateing forum afterall...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!