Tope on a lure!

Snatcher

Hi Snatcher

So would I! Waiting for a delivery of latex - steady - to see if I can get the damn things to "swim" in a straight line - hell of a lot trickier than I had imagined!

If I do get one working, I will post it here...

Cheers

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Kieran,looking forward to it.For this mackerel "fly"could also use fluorescent markers on white maribou to get the barring effect. Will take any ideas aboard for this construction chaps.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Just got in after late shift and have marked up a few blue marabou feathers with a black marker pen. They look really effective. Quite looking forward to doing this. Assuming Ian can get a tope to take, that will be the fly finished. Marabou feathers and tope teeth are at different ends of the spectrum!

Kieran also noted your comment about sandeels. Depending on how many hooks Ian sends across will tie up some launce types as well.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

• 2 weeks later...

How many hooks are in the post Ian and what size are they? May need to borrow/buy a larger vice. Ok so its gonna be -

mackerel lure

launce lure

Anything else you fancy Ian,general shape,colour. What effect would putting two sets of eyes into one of the lures have on the fish. Frighten it or make it more attractive? Just tell me what you are after and I will give it a go. Hope you have plenty of backing on your fly reel !!!!!!!!!!

After we have accomplished this mission do we raise our sights even higher. How about tope on a "dry fly",I would like to see you do that one Ian.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Last year, on two occasions I had free swimming Tope, following hooked Tope right up to the side of the boat, We caught fish by dropping baits right in front of them.

On days like that you could have caught them on a Bananna

AAHH!!!! There's a challenge. I have had plenty of Pollack using Bananna skin as a lure.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

A banana fly - do you want a floater or sinker then?

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I have just ordered a downrigger to do this very thing this year, I can get a lurefly down to the tope on conventional fly gear clipped to th rigger. It is not strictly fly fishing but the only way to get down to them that I can think of.

I agree with Ian, I regularly get tope free swimming following another hooked tope or surprisingly bream. I am going to have the fly rod in a holder ready rigged to cast to these. They also shred the rubby dubby bags at the back of the boat so there is an opportunity there as well.

Bit of a crazy idea but you never know...........

chris parker:

I have just ordered a downrigger to do this very thing this year, I can get a lurefly down to the tope on conventional fly gear clipped to th rigger. It is not strictly fly fishing but the only way to get down to them that I can think of.

I agree with Ian, I regularly get tope free swimming following another hooked tope or surprisingly bream. I am going to have the fly rod in a holder ready rigged to cast to these. They also shred the rubby dubby bags at the back of the boat so there is an opportunity there as well.

Bit of a crazy idea but you never know...........

How deep are you fishing for Tope? I suspect the slack waters could prove more successful in deep water

When we fish Pollack on the fly the lads reguarly snag bottom in 30 ft of water, The fast sinking line, sank too fast and consequently caused problems with snagging, so you will get the Lure deeper than you think.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk