Mono line. Has it happened to you?

codroamer

I found a spool of Drennan fishing line, which had been left on a bookcase in the conservatory and had been exposed to direct sunlight throughout the summer. When I tested the line by pulling on it, I found that I could break the 15lb line like thin weak thread!

I am assuming that this is because of the ultraviolet rays of the sun weakening the line. I have found this particular brand of line to be very good and I was rather surprised. Has it happened to anybody else? Is it due to the rays of the sun or is there another factor involved? Its entirely my own fault of course for the careless way I stored the line.

Enfield North London

You plonker!!

Rikky. Never leave any mono in direct sunlight or extremes of temperature!! They decay faster than McDonalds burgers!!

I wish I didn`t have to work so many hours. Then I`d manage a trip with you!!

Fancy a boat trip? Sunday 9th May. Davey might even give you a lift.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Mono line can deterioate very quickly and I find that line used for saltwater fishing seems to go quicker than the mono I use for freshwater.

For mullet fishing, I routinely change the line at the start of the season, and late in the season, when I expect to start encountering bigger fish.

Even so, I check the line at the start of each session, putting some pressure on it by fixing it to something and bending into it with the rod, to make sure that I can play a good fish with confidence.

Sometimes it just parts like cotton!

Power casting heavy lead, you need to make sure that the line is up to it, or risk killing someone!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Yeh, mono does deteriorate with time, but I didn't think U/V rays could pass through glass, which is why we don't get sunburn indoors.

Any 'boffs' out there?

UV can pass through most kinds of glass, thats why decent sunglasses make a point of the UV protection they offer. sunburn isn't caused by UV, but by the prolonged exposure to the temperature of the hot sun

I fish more regularly than most (being retarred) :) .

I take the "exposed" mono off my reels (that have been used), once a month.

I replace the mono every three months.

However, I don,t put 300 yards of mono on the reels, that will be used for average fishing distances of 30-60 ft.

I "back" the spools and load 100 yards max, to the lip of the spool.

That way, I am not throwing away so much mono, that hasn,t "seen the light of day".

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I wish I ddn't have to work so many hours. Then I'd manage a trip with you!! ..Spasor

Paul, nobody has to work so many hours! I'd really like another trip, as long as you promise not to go over canal banks in the car! You ain't a stunt driver anymore!

Where is this trip to, in may? Im up for it. We'll link up with the legal-eagle nearer the date. At the moment we are trying to organise a trip when he hasnt got the sprog, one weekend. :D:)

Enfield North London

I fish more regularly than most (being retarred) .

quote:

Being what?? Hope that was retired. Only needs the letter "d" and it would be retarded!

Obviously you have been celebrating the New Year!

Only kidding, and thanks for the advice.

Enfield North London

:D:D:D:D

codroamer, I have a lot of American friends and they refer to me as being, "retarred".

My wife agrees the slight letter adjustment, is more appropriate. .

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "