eBay question.

Cranfield

I was definitely the victim of schill bidding a few years ago on eBay (the chap later admitted having two PCs), but by the time I realised it was too late.

However, this has left me suffering from "schillnoia".

I buy a lot of plants etc., from eBay and usually they are "Buy Now", but if not, there is rarely any aggressive bidding and you get them for the starting price or thereabouts.

Just lately I am finding the appearance of "Bidder 1" and "Bidder 2" pushing the price along, which is causing me some concern.

The handy software at http://auctionpix.co.uk/shill_bidding/shill_bidding.php can't pick these Bidders up as regular bidders with the Seller, so you don't know if you are being schilled , or not.

My question is;

Who chooses to describe the bidders as Bidder 1 and Bidder 2, etc., is it eBay, the Seller, or the bidders themselves ?

I like to think I am in a fair and open business transaction, this seems a little bit too "secret squirrel" for me.

If its the Sellers categorising Bidder 1 and Bidder 2 , etc., I may not buy from those Sellers.

Edited by Cranfield

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

This has Happend to me Cranfeild I Presumed that I was bidding against someone useing bid sniper or the like,

I have Never heard of the expression and the practice of Schilling! although it does not supprise me now you mention it.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I don't concern myself what the other bidders or bidding scams get upto. If i'm interested in something i always have a top figure amount that i would go to in any event. I don't care if i bid for loads of goods and get outbid, anyone and all are welcome to the goods once i have reached me limit.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Its ebay!! DONE to simplify the bidding process!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

E-Bay decided on hiding the identity of bidders to protect them from spam so they said, i have been involved in shill bidding on a car which i then refused to buy.

You can get an idea if there are shill bidders by clicking on the bidder and looking at the details of the bidder it will show 30 days history a shill bidder would have a very high percentage with that seller sometimes 100% of activity. in those cases i always report it to e-bay security.

With regard to the point that a only go to a maximum that you decide that is true, but what if you decide on say £100 place your bid which reflects a leading bid of say £60 then the shill bidder or bidders start to increase your bids by £5 increments, suddenly you are buying the item for £95 instead of the potential £60, that's why it is illegal.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

What Medway said, no problem with bidder 1 or bidder 2 showing, just click on the bidder

and their activity with the seller should become clear. Once an auction is finished the winner's id

is shown to those who enetered the auction. If your not happy....report :D

Its the ID's/bidders that are kept secret that annoys (worries) me, i do not enter into those auctions.

There is so much info that can be gathered from ebays advance search about other users, just learn

how and where to find that info. You can even see what a user has been bidding on even if they

did not win an auction ;) and other auctions they are currently involved in. B)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif

With regard to the point that a only go to a maximum that you decide that is true, but what if you decide on say £100 place your bid which reflects a leading bid of say £60 then the shill bidder or bidders start to increase your bids by £5 increments, suddenly you are buying the item for £95 instead of the potential £60, that's why it is illegal.

Fair point Medwaygreen, the way that i bid is not to bid your maximum but to see how the bidding goes and to join in if i thought fit, some times i would not go for it until the last minutes. I would still have a maximum in mind and it would be difficult for me to go over it. Quite often i see things go for more than they are worth, perhaps more than even shop bought.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

You can get an idea if there are shill bidders by clicking on the bidder and looking at the details of the bidder it will show 30 days history a shill bidder would have a very high percentage with that seller sometimes 100% of activity. in those cases i always report it to e-bay security.

Thanks a lot, I didn't realise that.

Having checked back, the Bidder 1 and the Bidder 2 had 14% and 16% respectively of their purchases with the Seller.

So I suppose that could be legit.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Thanks a lot, I didn't realise that.

Having checked back, the Bidder 1 and the Bidder 2 had 14% and 16% respectively of their purchases with the Seller.

So I suppose that could be legit.

The 14% and 16% dont actually mean that the bidders were legit. It could mean that the schill bidder just went too high against a genuine bidder, if that was the case you will see the item up for sale again or the genuine bidder gets a second chance offer on the same item.

Just slightly off topic and something you may not have heard about is that shortly in OZ ebay will change the rules so that there will be no more direct debits and money orders to pay for items that you win. We will only be able to pay through paypal which as you know is owned by ebay and hence more money in ebay coffers. ebay say they will trial it in OZ and if the result is favourable they will then use the sysem worldwide.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

When I last sold something, a couple of weeks ago I as the seller was able to tick a box that kept the ID of the Bidders secret, so its the seller who decides, minor point but worth noting!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com