Tackle Advice

Ed Matysiak

My carp fishing gear may be great for mullet and even surf bass but its time i got some 'pier gear'! Can someone give me some ideas on rods and reels for pier fishing.

I need a 12ft 5-6oz beachcaster and a big strong reel. Any ideas? :confused: Oh yeh and budget is limited. I wan't gear that will do the job fine but won't cost an arm and a leg.

:P

Get a sea mag ....... Total Sea Fishing or Sea Angler .......

comb through the ads ...

you can buy quality rods/reels at half-price this time of year .......

Ron Thompson offer quality 'combos', as do Penn & Daiwa.

Koi.

Get either a used or new uptide rod, preferably a fixed spool job? They`re usually between 9ft and 9ft 6ins. A new F/S reel will only cost another £40? Job done.

Don`t bother looking for a dedicated pier rod. They went out of fashion years ago.

Are you sure you need a 12ft rod to fish off a pier? Then fishing off that pier is not giving yourself much advantage. The fish are most probably directly below your feet? Well the congers will be.

Fact. Piers attract a variety of marine life, that attracts bigger predators etc.

What pier are you thinking of using?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Koi, My spend on tackle is dictated by how much time i spend on a branch of the sport. So as i only sea fish when on family hols I have two shakespeare beach casters 4 to 8 oz which cost me 20 quid each. and two Okuma fixed spool reels that cost me 19 quid each. I catch a bit here and there, but secret is knowing your mark.

I always have a lure and saltwater fly rod with me :D

I prefer beach or low rocks, but if you are talking pier then a drop net could be handy because you never no if you are going to hook a 28lb cod like the one caught recently. Sadly not by me !

cheers

Malcolm