braid

hembo

please can you tell me the best of type of braid to use with a 10 -12 lb boat rod , for me to appreciate the fighting quality of the fish . this is a totally new ball game for me so i am open to all advice !!!!

[ 01. February 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: hembo ]

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

I'd go for 20lb braid with a cushioning 12 feet of 16lb mono shockleader. ......

I have used Spiderwire Fusion and Penn Tidecutter Supreme and have been quite satisfied with their performance.

hembo:

please can you tell me the best of type of braid to use with a 10 -12 lb boat rod , for me to appreciate the fighting quality of the fish . this is a totally new ball game for me so i am open to all advice !!!!

I was looking at the Power Pro range on Friday, I use mostly braid and theres is the next one that I am getting. It is so thin. eg most of my fishing is wrecking with pirks and a medium action rod with a multiplier reel so I will be getting the moss green, .19mm 13kg 135 mtr. At the other end of the scale Norrie has just loaded up with there 80lb braid for his next Common Skate trip. A bit expensive but well worth taking a look at.

I also have a 9 foot 12 to 15lb rod with an Abu 7000 on it and will be contacting Rob T for his advice on line for Bassing.

Cheers

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Powerpro is the best I have found to date, thin diameter, veyr soft and does not suffer too much from abrasion.

Alan, if you are livebaiting for bass try the fluro line from Berkley between 8lb and 16lb, you can't see it once it is in the water so the bass are not spooked. I have tried braid for them in the past and not had much luck. I put it down to it being too visible to them. It may be OK in murky water but we have crystal clear here, and they spook very easily.

chris parker:

you can't see it once it is in the water so the bass are not spooked. I have tried braid for them in the past and not had much luck.

Cheers Chris, problem is that I only have one Bass reel so switching from one to the other gets a bit expensive. As the target species is Bass and the rod and reel were brought this purpose I may follow your advice :)

Alan(nl)

:)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Chris - if you are using a braid like PowerPro that can be colored, try getting a selection of waterproof markers. I carry brown, green, yellow, red and will make 1/2 to 1 inch bands of irregular sizes and different colors of marker. About 6 feet should be plenty.

I'm sure the fish can see the colors but they don't seem to see 'line'.

Alan - I use 50lb powerpro on my 7000 C3 reels and I like it. If needed, the 80lb should handle fine too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

We use PP (well that's a bit obvious... :) ) for all our bassing, always have a clear mono or Fluoro leader of around 20ft then a 10 - 15ft Fluoro trace. Never spooked a bass yet. Mono / Fluoro mailine is next to useless around our area because of the tides encountered.

Favourite diameter PP for this type of fishing is 0.19mm (13kg).

Rob

Rob

Never tried Powerpro - my local shop doesn't stock it - where can I get hold of it?

I'll see how it compares to the the stuff I use at the moment.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

jabee - if you can't source it locally, mail order from a US source should be easy enough.

Posted Image Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President