2008 Was It a Good Year For You?

Guest Rabbit

Well its almost the end of another year, and I was reflecting on my catches thus far....not too many fish it must be said to choose from as my local river systems have been really off colour. But there have been one or two moments, not least my first trip to the Wye, and 29 barbel shared with Anthony. Also my first Salmon fluked on worm from the Teme, and a couple of weeks later a 7.2 Chub from the same river. But the best memory has to be the 12lb barbel from a small backwater off the Warwickshire Avon, a heat stopping fight, in and out of tree roots from a rising river in October...magic.

Oh and the latest addition to the family a Springer pup last June, Jack has a taste for remote controls and ipods, but is a fantastic companion, and together we have searched out many new fishing spots that he has insisted in jumping in.

So not so much quantity but a bit of quality in the year....how about you?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its almost the end of another year, and I was reflecting on my catches thus far....not too many fish it must be said to choose from as my local river systems have been really off colour. But there have been one or two moments, not least my first trip to the Wye, and 29 barbel shared with Anthony. Also my first Salmon fluked on worm from the Teme, and a couple of weeks later a 7.2 Chub from the same river. But the best memory has to be the 12lb barbel from a small backwater off the Warwickshire Avon, a heat stopping fight, in and out of tree roots from a rising river in October...magic.

Oh and the latest addition to the family a Springer pup last June, Jack has a taste for remote controls and ipods, but is a fantastic companion, and together we have searched out many new fishing spots that he has insisted in jumping in.

So not so much quantity but a bit of quality in the year....how about you?

A 12lb barbel is a nice fish, But a 7.2 river chub would have been right at the top of my list.

Its been a very quiet year for me, to be honest i really lost the bug for a bit in spring and didn't pick a rod up for a few months. However i seem to have got it back again so watch out fish for the last couple of month of this season. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

2008 was the year that I decided to give coarse fishing another go after 30 years of game fishing with a few pike trips.

It was a year to try new techniques, well, new to me anyway.

First time fishing a pole

First time using feeders

First time using most modern tackle.

It was also a year for PBs (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: )

Tench

Roach

Rudd

Chub

Carp

Bream

The only thing that eluded me was a large Perch, caught loads of small ones but nothing of any size

Yes 2008 was a good year but I think that 2009 will be better :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've done hardly any fishing at all this year :(

It was nice to get out onto the Test with AN, though, and onto the Itchen at the back end of last season. I think my first grayling on the fly at Timsbury might be the thing I'm most chuffed about. Hopefully I'll get some river fishing in over the winter.

2008 has been a superb angling year for me. I haven’t caught any unusually heavy fish, but I’ve certainly enjoyed my fishing more than ever. I’ve discovered lots of gorgeous new places to angle, and made some wonderful new angling companions and friendships, and I’ve successfully developed a more philosophical approach to this noble pursuit- in which Being There is truly the most important thing. I have enjoyed my first AN fish-in, acquired some very special fishing tackle which has been profoundly enjoyable to use, I’ve been taught how to Wallis cast, and I’ve even learnt a few things that have improved my technique. I’ve written my first article on fishing on the Hampshire Avon, and very much enjoyed visiting this excellent forum, which has provided me with a huge amount of excellent and friendly advice. Best of all, I’ve found some seriously glorious tranquility on the banks of two of our finest English rivers, far, far away from the bustle of the real world. It’s been good.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Despite many people reporting a bad year, and most blaming the repercussions of the 2007 floods (disrupting, moving, and no doubt killing an awful lot of fish), I've had a really fantastic year. Most of it was down to sheer effort too, which makes it much more rewarding. I've enjoyed myself even more than usual too :) I've had PBs for bream, brown trout (wild), bullhead(!), chub, grayling, ruffe(!) and tench. My personal highlights have been:

• - That fantastic day at the Itchen courtesy of AN, catching lots of hard fighting grayling including two new PBs, the biggest a whopping 2lb 11oz
    - The last day of last season chub fishing with my friend Chris, accepting an offer to poach his swim and catching a last-gasp PB of 5lb 1oz in the dark (same again this season old chap?!)
    - Some superb small stream fly fishing in spring, catching wild brownies on the upstream nymph (really pleased with that, this was the first time I 'mastered' it, with help from Vagabond) and plenty more on dry mayflies and sedges - plus a few cheeky dace and chub too...
    - Lots and lots of trotting at my favourite Thames tributary with Richard, exploring new stretches and having loads of fun
    - The most amazing tench fishing I've ever had throughout April and May, including one session-of-a-lifetime where I was lucky enough to catch 22 beautiful, fat tench, 8 of which beat my old PB! Most were 7s and there were four 8s and four 9s too, unbelievable. (A love affair with fake maggots was born there...!)
    - That big bream in July - easily the highlight of this and several more seasons. I can't think of a more rewarding capture.
    - One week's perch fishing in September fishing the Thames and a little stream, catching several big perch including one very close to a PB, fishing lobworms under a proper boy's float
    - A day out on JV44's boat on the Thames - we didn't catch much but it was a great day

The weather has been awful but the fish didn't seem to mind. If next year is half as good I'll be chuffed!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My year’s been all about learning a new method and realising that winter can be a very enjoyable time to fish. I’ve re-discovered centrepin reels and spent most of my time wandering up and down local rivers, I’ve only fished stillwaters a couple of times this season.

Results haven’t been spectacular with very little success on TAA’s Kennet stretches (one large co-operative Bream aside) but this has been balanced by a reliable freebie local river which always produces grayling, trout & roach. First time I’ve ever caught grayling.

On the things to do list this year is explore Newbury’s free Kennet stretches in search of chub, haven’t caught one yet this year.

A great year so far, if a little expensive.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back