River Wensum, Fakenham

wearyone

I will be holidaying not far from Fakenham 1st week Septemer and I'm looking for info on the Wensum in that area, also the Stiffkey which is very close to where we will be staying, Great Snoring.

I know the river lower down, but time on the bank will be limited owing to wife and aged mother in-law :(

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

I will be holidaying not far from Fakenham 1st week Septemer and I'm looking for info on the Wensum in that area, also the Stiffkey which is very close to where we will be staying, Great Snoring.

I know the river lower down, but time on the bank will be limited owing to wife and aged mother in-law :(

I don't know the river that high up I am afraid. I wouldn't have thought that there would be much water in it up there? It's a long way upstream

I caught my first trout out of the mill pool in fakenham many many years ago. Freelined breadflake :yeah:

Lovely river through Fakenham, about 30ft wide I suppose, shallowish and weedy. We had a lot of fun there as youngsters when we stayed with friends who lived in Fakenham. It reminds me of the chalkstreams around Salisbury where we also had fun while visiting cousins.

No idea about permits etc. Such minor inconveniencies didn't really worry us then. Hope it hasn't changed much in the intervening quater of a century. But I expect the wooden rod facists have claimed it now as a syndicate barbel stretch :wallbash::nono:

Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.

Tim

A lovely river. The stretch through Fakenham used to be day ticket, bought from the local tackle shop. I've only fished it once (over 10 years ago), after the trout with fly gear. I remember seeing loads of them but combine clumsiness and clear water and you get a blank! There were also loads of chub, roach, perch, etc. If the tackle shop in Fakenham is still there, give them a call - failing that, the Tackle Box in Kings Lynn might be able to help.

Good luck!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've fished numerous occassions at the Mill pool in Fakenham , it use to cost £5 from the pub (can't remember it name) but now they can't be bothered and fishing is free. It's located as the main road runs into Fakenham past the Racecourse/Golf club as the road crosses the river you'll see the pub and old mill (now flats) on your left. On other side of road in a gas cooker museum (?) and the Bowling Alley is on the corner.

Caught plenty of good Roach and large Dace , Eels , Minnow , lots of Brown Trout up to 2lb and a decent Pike which we lost estimated about 15lb. Maggots worked for us. Trot a float under the tree and you'll be in with a shout.

Good luck.

but time on the bank will be limited owing to wife and aged mother in-law :(

easy answer to that one is dont take the wife and aged mother in-law to the river.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanks for the info, I did manage to talk to the tackle shop.

I've seen a few old photographs of the mill, I doubt if there will be the same flow now as when the pics were taken, c 40/50's

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Thanks for the info, I did manage to talk to the tackle shop.

I've seen a few old photographs of the mill, I doubt if there will be the same flow now as when the pics were taken, c 40/50's

Take it on , you may be very pleasently suprised !