Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Not many of them seem to make it past their first years, to become a decent size, though.

http://www.cefas.co.uk/fishinfo/haddock_summary.htm

Tight Lines - leon

[ 09. September 2005, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnfranz

Hi nick of the north.

If you where to travel the north sea and visit the traditional fishing grounds (dogger bank etc etc) you would find that the lack of fish has nothing now to do with the British fishing fleet that is what is left of it.

It’s not over fishing nick of the north it’s the fact that fish are starving to death. CAUSE

The sand ell fishery that the Danes have been doing for years (and at last has been stopped) with the help of pressure from one commercial fisherman to another.

There is a very good article by a charter boat skipper that is very good reading on the plight of cod and the sand ell fishery, anyway will try and find it and post it.

As for anglers not against commercial fishermen? Give your head a shake nick and get the sand out of your hair. There must be hundreds of postings on this forum alone that contradicts that. Now come on nick, ill get my head out the sand if you will get yours out the clouds.

Guest johnfranz

NickInTheNorth:

binatone, get your head out of the sand, or where ever you have it buried. Commercial fishing has virtually destroyed the cod fishery in the north sea, and on the grand banks.

Why? Pure greed. The Icelandic fishery shows what can be done when a fishery is well managed with sustainability as the major aim.

When will you dinosaurs realise that anglers are not against you, we have the same aim - or should have. A sea full of fish which we can catch for sport, and you can catch commercially. Both are possible, but not whilst the commercial fleet keep pretending that all is well in the sea. The sooner you admit to there being a problem and working for a sustainable future, the sooner your industry can have a long term viable future.

The future for the sea at the moment looks very bleak to me.

Guest NickInTheNorth

I agree that the sandeel overfishing (and many immature species of other species caught by the sandeel boats) has had a significant impact on recent fish stocks.

However to state that the lack of fish (cod?) has nothing to do with the british fleets vast over fishing for many years is just laughable. Take your head out of the sand as you promised, and admit some blame for past actions.

I cannot speak for everyone that posts on these forums, but I believe that if you and the rest of the commercial fishermen of the UK start working towards a sustainable fishery then you will find that there is a lot of common ground with recreational sea anglers. All we want is some fish to catch, the same as you. We just recognise that there is a problem, whereas from what you say you don't believe there is.

Guest johnfranz

Hi nick of the north.

If you where to travel the north sea and visit the traditional fishing grounds (dogger bank etc etc) you would find that the lack of fish has nothing now to do with the British fishing fleet that is what is left of it.

It’s not over fishing nick of the north it’s the fact that fish are starving to death. CAUSE

The sand ell fishery that the Danes have been doing for years (and at last has been stopped) with the help of pressure from one commercial fisherman to another.

There is a very good article by a charter boat skipper that is very good reading on the plight of cod and the sand ell fishery, anyway will try and find it and post it.

As for anglers not against commercial fishermen? Give your head a shake nick and get the sand out of your hair. There must be hundreds of postings on this forum alone that contradicts that. Now come on nick, ill get my head out the sand if you will get yours out the clouds.

Guest johnfranz

NickInTheNorth:

I agree that the sandeel overfishing (and many immature species of other species caught by the sandeel boats) has had a significant impact on recent fish stocks.

However to state that the lack of fish (cod?) has nothing to do with the british fleets vast over fishing for many years is just laughable. Take your head out of the sand as you promised, and admit some blame for past actions.

I cannot speak for everyone that posts on these forums, but I believe that if you and the rest of the commercial fishermen of the UK start working towards a sustainable fishery then you will find that there is a lot of common ground with recreational sea anglers. All we want is some fish to catch, the same as you. We just recognise that there is a problem, whereas from what you say you don't believe there is.

Guest johnfranz

Never said that nick, there is a problem we all no that. Of course technology has vastly improved the catching power of the modern day commercial fisherman.

But the same technology has helped anglers pinpoint there marks and wrecks.

I came on this forum to ask certain persons to think before they slag off and blame and industry that they know little about.

Let the fishing industry worry about the millions that they have invested in there livelihoods and you just hope that they do with anglers in mind.

Personally nick I love a bit of angling, but if I catch nothing as I often do I blame no one but myself. Good luck take care.

Nothing new in this thread anyway.

Commercial Fisherman, traditonal fishing grounds, Fish come and go in cycles, Fishing has sustained me and my family for thirty two years thankyou, nothing to do with overfishing.

I don't know you as an individual so i can't comment but as an industry commercial fishing stinks. The damage you have collectively done is an utter disgrace and you should be ashamed.

Bye