Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

binatone

Wise up Binatone. I witnessed the destruction of the North Sea 40 years ago. I am from Hull and saw them build bigger ans faster trawlers designed to go to Iceland, because there weren't enough fish to be caught locally. Or wasn't there enough sandeel then either.

You give the impression that commercial fishermen own the fish in the sea. Trust me you have got a shock coming as politicians realise the fish are worth far more left in the sea.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

binatone:

I came on this forum to ask certain persons to think before they slag off and blame and industry that they know little about.

Personally nick I love a bit of angling, but if I catch nothing as I often do I blame no one but myself. Good luck take care.

No need to ask certain persons. Judging by the reponse to your posts the majority of the forum think the same way.

I have read and reread bbc articles, telegraph articles, conservation group articles, Ices articles, I have listened to people like Leon whoose judgement I respect and trust greatly, I have listened to my neighbours, I have even listened to the likes of yourselves when you admit there is a problem and admit the existance of black fish - "Black fish like the black economy is a way of life. We all know it happens it just has to be controlled to an acceptable level.", or "Ducking and diving as some call it" I have listened to how the fishermen swore they knew best about the stocks on the grand banks.

The one conclusion I have drawn is that "Letting the fishing industry worry about the millions that they have invested in there livelihoods and you just hope that they do with anglers in mind." would be the very worst thing that could possibly happen to our fish stocks.

http://chieftaincharters.tripod.com/FROM%2...0WHEELHOUSE.htm

Is this the sandeal article you talk about Binatone??

Its been discussed here before I think.

I read that many times too and agree with some of the content. For a Slighlty different perspective on the situation try discussing it with Jaffa, but be prepared to be baffled by science

Any chance that someone could step in as a sort of devils` advocate. I fished in many places in the world and heard the same for and against arguments.

Seems that we, as anglers on an angling forum, may well be stepping right into the open arms of the tree huggers. I may be wrong but if anglers keep bitching at commercial guys and vice versa we seem to have a situation where the idea of banning vast areas of `fish catching' regardless of method may well be given to the tree huggers on a dinner plate.

The seas recources are vast but not infinite, I would think that all who are interested in a sustainable resource be it for sporting potential or commercial gain should downstep the aggro and try and work together.

Quoted from sharkbyte

"don't know you as an individual so i can't comment but as an industry commercial fishing stinks. The damage you have collectively done is an utter disgrace and you should be ashamed"

Well I'm proud to be a commercial fisherman, I take great pride in the fact that I earn a good living in an enviroment where most fail, the rest have not got the balls to even try.

I am begining to wish an iceage would start to happen in the next few months just so I would be able to say " I told you so"

NickintheNorth,

Even the sustainable icelandic cod fishing is showing sighns of declining,(read this weeks Fishing News) so how do you explain that?

I fish to live and live to fish.

wurzel:

Even the sustainable icelandic cod fishing is showing sighns of declining,(read this weeks Fishing News) so how do you explain that?

Maybe something to do with the fact that because of pressure from their fishing industry, the Icelandic quotas have been set in recent years which exceeded the scientific advice?

"The Icelandic cod stock has declined more or less steadily from about 1.4 million tonnes spawning stock size in 1955 to levels close to historical minimum and is expected to continue declining at current effort levels. In the same period, fishing mortality has increased from about F = 0.3 to about 0.9, despite introduction of an ITQ scheme in 1984. The stock is now at or outside safe biological limits. ICES therefore recommended a significant reduction in fishing mortality, but in many years scientific catch advice on this stock has been considerably exceeded, although juvenile catches have received some protection through closure of nursery areas."

http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cdr.asp?...2E/w3842e01.htm

"I've been at sea for 13 years, and I'll probably give it up soon. I wouldn't want any son of mine doing it. And we've got only ourselves to blame - we've been catching too much." (Icelandic Fisherman)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2567041.stm

Tight Lines - leon

[ 10. September 2005, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest johnfranz

Have any of you anti-commercial fishing anglers ever eaten fish that has not been caught by yourselves as anglers? Fish fingers? Fish and chips? Canned salmon? Restaurant meals? Lets face it lads, as long as people buy fish, commercial fishermen will try to catch them. Thanks for the link autumn on the sand ell subject, but I actually read it in the current issue of boat fishing monthly.

At least those guys are honest.

Binatone. Ive sat and had a good think about your posts. Im wondering which boat it is you now work on? Are you still a trawlerman or have you retired?? You say you enjoy angling?? Where do you go? Perhaps we will meet up one day at chicken rock? or even Cheese rock?

The sandeal article above, have you read it?, is written by a chap Called John Brennan the skipper of Chieftain Charters Whitby (think its ok to mention his name although all past posts about the man seem to have been erased from the site.). Do you know John? and what do you think about his article - A Fair observation or pure speculation???

[ 10. September 2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

Binatone,

Nothing wrong with commercial fishing, when all that is taken is the excess that the marine ecology can afford to lose, and when honest fishermen make a living within the rules designed to ensure that there will be healthy fish stocks for generations to come.

I doubt that anyone here has anything other than respect for such fishermen.

It's unsustainable practices, and blatant disregard for conservation and rules designed to protect the stocks that provoke condemnation.

Is that wrong?

Tight Lines - leon

ps I buy fish from a local commercial fisherman who also owns a wet fish shop.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust