Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Guest johnfranz

No autumn I am not making any accusations against you, what I am pointing out is that we do not live in a perfect would and this method of so called angling does go on. It never paints a truthful picture of what angling is all about when it does come to the attention of the public.

The same as some of the things that have happened in the commercial side.

So let’s not throw stones, as the fishing community and the angling fraternity all share the same fragile glass house.

You keep asking who I am? What boat I work on? Does this matter? I will say again, I came on to this thread because I thought that to many stones where being thrown in the direction of a fragile industry by people who believe that they through this forum have the right to do so. This is proble true, have read some great comments and have enjoyed picking up the stones and throwing them back.

Am sorry that the person whom was throwing the most stones prior to me joining in has declined to participate in the debate.

Hope there will always be fish for all. Will have to get off as I need to get back to sea as the kids need to be fed

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cleared that up then. I rather hoped you werent suggesting I was some type of poacher as to the best of my knowledge I never broke any rules. Ive had my hook sizes checked before and Im told they are legal. I fish in the designated areas and play by the rules. As for what others do that is there look out.

[ 10. September 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

So Leon who over fished the Pleseosourus or the Ichthyousaurs ?

Alright I'm in a silly mood, but at some time they would have been concidered below a sustainable level.

Just because a stock is below economic viabilty does not mean it's going to collaps and there is always a natural phenomina associated with the so called collaps e.g a natural up welling of warm water in the case of anchoveta and an increace of water tempreture of 3 degees at the grand banks, I reckon these fisherys would have declined naturaly and at least the fish were put to good use while they were there,and there is always a replacement nature will never let there be a viod.In the case of the crab fishery, fair enough there are to many fishermen, the economics will soon sort that out, the same as if some body turned up at Harwich or whitby with large amounts of pots, it would mean some body else would catch less, It comes to a point were you either move on to some thing else or go out of business.

I fish to live and live to fish.

binatone:

I will say again, I came on to this thread because I thought that to many stones where being thrown in the direction of a fragile industry by people who believe that they through this forum have the right to do so. This is proble true, have read some great comments and have enjoyed picking up the stones and throwing them back.

Am sorry that the person whom was throwing the most stones prior to me joining in has declined to participate in the debate.

Hope there will always be fish for all. Will have to get off as I need to get back to sea as the kids need to be fed

Well I guess on a fishing forum what more could you expect. The majority here are all anglers and have seen a marked and significant difference in the amount of fish they have caught in recent years in comparison to the not so distant past. We have all read the articles I talked about earlier , weve all read the court reports from papers acrosss the country, weve all talked to trawlermen , fish processors, fish merchants, wagon drivers etc. So can you blame us for coming to the conclusion that we have???

With regard to the forum rules I see nothing forbidding the discussion of the commercial fishing industry and within a free country (allowing for laws on deffermation etc) I guess we can throw those very stones you talk about, and yes you have the right to throw them back.

Im not 100% certain of whom your talking about when you say the main stone thrower but by looking back through the thread I guess I worked out who your talking about. I understand he aint to well at the moment but no doubt will be back before too long.

Guest johnfranz

Hope he gets better too. He is well enough to go on other threads but does not seam to have the strength to go on this one, may be he has Warne himself out throwing stones….

I do like your little picture. Is that you?

You never did tell us where you fish? Although we can be certain you dont fish the banks of the Esk with a big trebble Im wondering if you fish it with a small treble or even 2 for that matter?

Are you a friend of wurzel by any chance?

binatone:

Hope he gets better too. He is well enough to go on other threads but does not seam to have the strength to go on this one, may be he has Warne himself out throwing stones….

When I spoke to him this morning he was unaware of your grand entrance, and sebsequant returning of earlier thrown stones or clemmies as you may call them in a colloquiel sense.However I have informed him you are here. Anyway since that time he hasnt posted. Obviously warne (isnt he a cricketer) out as u suggest. :D

Wurzel, I don't know you as an individual either although I understand from friends that you are a genuinely nice bloke.

What I am refering to is the commercial fishing industry as a whole. It has utterly ruined the fishing around the UK and there is no arguement capable of holding water to dispute that.

After going through a spell of buying all the ols fishing books I could find, I chanced upon Sea Fishing The Wash to Thames Estuary.

Page 1

Sam Hooks 32lb cod from Claremont Pier, Lowestoft. 1968 43lb cod 2 miles off Felixstowe. Huge tope that could be taken off certain beaches. Thornback rays falling in large numbers to beach anglers. 18lb 2oz bass caught from a Felixstowe beach. Tremendous catches of dabs, plaice and flounders.

This superb book of yesterdays fishing as it was and still should be, goes on for another 125 pages. Each one kicking me in the nuts harder than the last.

I cannot hate anyone commercially fishing for a living. There should be a limited fleet of smaller craft earning their money by sustainably fishing around the UK. The problem you and other fisherman face is that all yesterdays greed is coming home to roost. The wholesale use of pitiful excuses by the trade is what gets mine and no doubt others backs up.

Binatone

quote:

Have any of you anti-commercial fishing anglers ever eaten fish that has not been caught by yourselves as anglers? Fish fingers? Fish and chips? Canned salmon? Restaurant meals? Lets face it lads, as long as people buy fish, commercial fishermen will try to catch them.
I wonder how far a drug dealer would get in a court room using the same arguement?

Binitone having read your posts and now 99% sure who you are it does/nt sirprize your position on the interest of commercial sector ,

First and allmost i have nothing against anybody who try to making a living out of fishing just as you did once over ,you know as well me what has happened over the years dumping was the norm in 80ss with the increase in horsepower slaughter was the name of the game especialy at this time of the year when the herring were spawning a man with a wooden head new this was happening day in day out even wurzel who on an earlyier thread some time ago once posted that the trawlers were dumping far to many small codling when he was fishing out of whitby , but that bye the bye now because there just aint the quantity of small codling to dump you seem to know a lot about the fishing industry but why are not in it any more is not profitable or were you just a failed commercial fisherman, as for the cod stocks been on the brink of collaps i very sad to say this but when i talked to one skipper yesterday he told me they had had a very good week which i am glad as they have had a very lean time the last six months but one interesting thing he told me which is very concerning for him and me in my job is that there was no small codling amoung the herring spawn onlt medium and best codling what does that tell you well you should know that with your knowledge we are in big trouble so lets just see what happens when the herring spawn has gone.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Plenty of tids around here Big cod, the fact they have to use 120 ml codends proberly means the tids are escapeing,in this area even the small sole trawlers using 80ml nets have 120ml escape panels they also see the diference in discards.

I fish to live and live to fish.