Kayakfishing Chat - more

Newt

Good Luck, don't worry I'm still at work....keeping the cogs of industry turning. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had my 1st yak fishing experience tonight from 6-7pm & it was class :cool:

The sea was flat as a witches t*t & I walked straight down the steps of the local beach & into the water & paddled out to the hard ground about 1 mile out.

As I set up at the waters edge I noticed that the butt of my rod fits nicely into a scupper hole so I was made up! I put it into the foremost hole in front of my feet & it just looks like a mast, LOL

Once I'd reached a known hard ground/wreck marker I slid the paddle into the grab line to my right & placed the butt of my rod into the nose loop/handle which meant I could put a rig on with the rod tip right in front of me at the exact height which is pretty canny.

I then drifted along the hard ground for about an hour before this massive black cloud suddenly built up above me & I headed promptly back to shore with the rod lying flat in case of lightening (sphincter puttngly frightening)

YY: I used my Abu 9000 as it was ready to go & loaded with 50lb mono. I normally use it for rough ground cliff top work from the shore or back up from the boats. It was gr8 to use it again & in only about 50-70ft of water (or so it felt) the mono was fine over the heavy kelp & snags.

Is 50lb different to what you use & what do you use as in tactics & tackle wise ?

I've got loads more to say but don't want to hog the forum thread so I'll shut up, ha ha

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you had a good trip.

Shame that cloud turned up.

Re tackle and tactics, they will be decided by the type of ground your fishing, and what your fishing for.

Here we fish mainly for Bass, in fairly shallow waters,4/40ft over rough and broken ground.

we tend to use lures and spoons, on light spining rods.

10lb line with 12lb flouro carbon tippet.

Fishing on the bottom, a bit heavier gear 12/15 line.

Personal choice realy.

Who cares anyway......as long as we are out there enjoying ourselves, catch or not, its still nice being there :D

yy :)

Hi NEA Andy!

Like the yak colour! (same as my Scupper PTW!)I posted a pic on one of the threads here somewhere! I was "one click" away from buying a scooter (online from BC) when I realised that you could "accessorise" with a slightly bigger boat, so I went for the scupper, although I fancied the quicker turning aspect of the scooter, and the colour of it was nice too (a kind of purple - white blend!) Still, all watercraft are nice (maybe I need another)LOL~~ If the wife read this she'd flip ha ha (I have a marina 's worth of sea / lake stuff!!, including a jetski, which will be getting an airing soon)~~Don't normally admit that, as people associate jet skiers with the "nobs" who zoom around annoying everybody trying to be "big", but I just "tour" on mine with the misses in tow in the tube or on the back, or vica versa!!~~~~oooh seeing your scooter has made my credit card hand itch!!! LOL~~~~ where is that BC site URL~~~~he he~~~

All the best~~~SDD

Hi All

Simon anytime you want to arrange a trip to Wonnell/Erme mouth let me know. I plan to fish it real soon (maybe this weekend), so will let you know how I get on.

Am busy making a YAK trolley at the moment thought it would be worth the effort especially for places such a Mothecombe where you have to park some distance from the water.

Will post a pic of it when it's done, has cost about £25 for the materials.

David I understand your not wanting to admit to owning a jetski as the feeling between Anglers & jet skiiers is not a good one in general but as an Angler yourself at least u understand the needs of of Anglers space on the beaches. I say got for it m8 & enjoy your boys toys, LOL

When I bought the Scooter I never ever thought I'd be fishing from it on a regular basis but bought it as an all round fun boat & it's certainly living up to it's description :D

I took a couple of pics to show the rod holders I discovered when I went fishing the other night. The boat rod fits neatly into the front scupper holes well out of the way of the paddle area & also fits into the front handle/ring for changing rigs :D

The area I fish is mostly very heavy rough ground & wrecks, hence the 50lb mono & 30-50lb rod but I can't wait to take the spinning rod out for Mackerel when they arrive here in the N.East at the end of May.

I noticed the other night that when snagged, your very vunerable due to being on a small craft & I was unable to get any real leverage on the line to pull the rig free from the rope it was caught on so had to cut the mono at the surface & lose the line :(

At least it's only cheap mono I'm losing though & not braid which I normally use on a boat

Here's the pics of my rod holders;

kayak_rod_holder.jpg

kayak_rig_holder.jpg

Hell I could even tie a sail to the rod :D

[ 05. May 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: NEA Andy ]

Seadoodah David. Am fetching my brother from Bristol airport on Tuesday (10th May) then helping him load up his wagon on the Weds morning. Will bring the Yak with me. Anything showing on the marks around The Sound to Wembury. If so - fancy a trip Weds evening?

I shall be staying with him - he lives in the old RN Hospital far end of Union Street.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

OOOPs, that should have been directed to Yaskalos!! Sorry DaviddoodahSea

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

NEA Andy.

Looking good there.

That Scooter of yours has lots of friendly areas to mount some flushmount rod holders.

You could attach some eyelets on the back and bungee a small tackle box to her.

She would make you a nice fishing Yak with a bit of alteration :)

Whens your next trip out Andy?

Great pics by the way, keep em coming.

yy :)

[ 06. May 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]