• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 SpeciMan

SpeciMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:19 AM

- my brother may also come down sometime on Friday morning for a paddle and may fish for a few hours. He better arrive before the tide turns otherwise he'll be going on a trip to Poole Quay :D

Rag will be our staple bait but now we're going to throw a few other things their way; yellow tail, black and blow lug :cool:

If conditions are right we'll have 6 rods out between us (4 on the bottom and 2 on float ) - it won't be our fault if we don't catch..oh no... of course not :D

I mentioned using Aberdeens earlier - I'll also try the Varivas semi circle hooks on one rod and see how they perform. I find putting rag on a circle hook tedious.

Umm feels like there is a quite build up to this meet - I'm now expecting an avalanche of flounder and no less - they'll be fighting each other to jump on the hooks! :D
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

#22 Hungry Fisherman

Hungry Fisherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:FISHING BEER AND morpg's

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:35 AM

WELL ILL PROBS BE USING TWO RODS on the bottom one with a bullet leads and a single snood with pobs rag and a wiggle fin other may have two snoods both with wiggle fins on i wanna see if they work may try a couple of beads as well

thats if i make it lol
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)
launches 2009 1
species caught 1 cod

#23 Artfulfisher

Artfulfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking + Fishing = Kayakfishing

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

No Starvin...I never had the pleasure of the company caravan...I only saw it the day it was removed...well I had free board and lodging in a brick built structure not far away!!! :D

As for the Flounder hunt lads...locally we have a flounder competition during the coming weeks (shore based). I've never competed, however I always like the sound of it...It's known as 'The Flounder Festival'...I reckon you've got the makings of a kayakfishing version :D

Best of luck, and I hope I can join you at Flounderfest in the future, Art :)

#24 Simon Everett

Simon Everett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and lure fishing

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

zippy - next few weeks are frantic, so I won't be able to make the weekend in a couple of weeks (21 - 23) but might be able to make a midweek day or two...keep you posted.
Simon Everett
Staffordshire.
Fishing kayaks:
White& Orange Dorado
Olive Scupper Pro
Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks
Red White Skua
White & Orange Duo

#25 musket

musket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:falconry,conservation,natural history,fishing,home brew

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:16 AM

Good luck all you Poole flattie fishers :)
I'll be out tomorrow from 09:15-11:45(should just get back in time to pick up youngsters from pre-school)Oh I remember when I just used to go fishing :( ... Anyway out with a shop boughten spoon tomorrow.I'll make my own ,as I used to,later this month.
Cheers Jon :)
"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

#26 nifty

nifty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:angling

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:12 AM

Good luck with your flounder trip guys.
Would have loved to join you but work has got in the way :(
I had a little dabble last weekend in the Dyfi estuary from the shore with the baited spoon and it is a fascinating method that really does work well. Although I only had one flounder and a couple of school Bass, I missed many more bites on my lug baited size two aberdeen trailed 4-5 ins behind the spoon.
I tried leaving the bait still after the initial rattle and also continued retrieving after the first indication of a fish attacking the bait but even though they were nearly pulling the rod out of my hands, I was failing to hook up.
Any solutions would be gratefully received if you know of them.

Have a good un!
nifty

#27 SpeciMan

SpeciMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I hope you catch a nice flattie tomorrow Jon.

The hooklength of 1 1/2"- 3" inches I mentioned at the beginning of the thread might have been a bit on the short side - I'll find out tomorrow :)

Don't tell Zzippy but I've sneaked some booby beads into my crate should things go wrong :D
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

#28 Zzippy

Zzippy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:Kayak fishing,scuba diving,sea fishing(shore)

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:12 AM

SpeciMan:
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I hope you catch a nice flattie tomorrow Jon.

The hooklength of 1 1/2"- 3" inches I mentioned at the beginning of the thread might have been a bit on the short side - I'll find out tomorrow   :)  

Don't tell Zzippy but I've sneaked some booby beads  into my crate should things go wrong   :D  

My rods are set up with booby beads allready :D :D

#29 Simon Everett

Simon Everett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and lure fishing

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:25 AM

What's a booby bead?
Simon Everett
Staffordshire.
Fishing kayaks:
White& Orange Dorado
Olive Scupper Pro
Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks
Red White Skua
White & Orange Duo

#30 SpeciMan

SpeciMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:51 AM

Booby beads are plastic round capsules which contain a ball bearing and you attach them to the line near your bait. I'll be using silver ones tomorrow. Can't but help think they'll get the bass biting but hey I don't mind if a 5lber comes along even if its not a flounder. :rolleyes: :D

Review and pic of booby beads
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow