Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

second that!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair comment. Im glad views like Sharkbytes are not mirrored up here. Doubt they would be mirrored in any country with good fish stocks FWIW either ;):D

Whitby drop dead. You are of no interest to "real" England?

Reckon we should move the border south to the Tyne :D ?

Come on, Chris, do the job properly! Drop the border to the Humber, proclaim a UDI, and take Scottish oil with you… now that’s a country I’d like to live in!

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Only the most selfish industry in the UK could come up with a gem like that.

Whether there are or aren't any commercials / anglers fishing the sea's, should they not have a healthy stock of fish anyway?

This statement really proves that the commercial fishing industry believes that they have the divine right to take it if its there.

I think you've summed that up nicely. I bet there are still big game hunters out there that are as mad as hell that Rhinos and Elephant are being protected in game reserves.

I bet Mr Locker wishes he had engaged his brain before operating his mouth on this occasion :D

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Jaffa et al

As the last bison was shot on the great plains of America and whales all around the globe were harpooned close to distinction by commercial hunters, many appear to have learned little from it. Intuitively, those those with the most to lose should be the most motivated to solve and bring about a stable balance in nature for todays and tomorrows generation.

History has taught us that this acertion, however superficially plausible, is, in fact, completely false.

European fishery policy from year dot, has always revolved around producing protein at the quayside. Fishery science and management is all about, and always has been, dominated by that agenda.

andyR

Funnily enough I am aware of the story of the bison and the Southern whale stocks. I'd be interested to hear your views on the resumption of sustainable whaling though? ;):)

You and Winter might find what WWF say more interesting than anything i come out with ;):)

"Now or Never"

The cost of Candas cod collapse and disturbing parallels with the UK"

A WWF report, with the executive summary here:

http://www.wwf.org.uk/filelibrary/pdf/noworneverexsum.pdf

Cheers,

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Sharkbyte

You are a sad git, and where do I go to get some of your money to prop me up over the christmas period,

all donations will be gratefully recieved.

Jaffa

Do you think that the big increase in Canada's lobster stocks have a part to play in any parallels with the UK

concerning cod stock?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Jaffa,

Funnily enough I don't have a problem with sustainable commercial whaling. Before I get piloried, I should qualify what I mean by that. I have no problem with indiginous communities that take whales as part of their culture continuing to do so, provided it is properly regulated. We should not forget the massive amount of unregulated culling that went on in context with their reproductive capacity to replenish. The felling of Californian red wood could be made sustainable, but it would probably end up at one every thousand years or so. Its all relative.

I went to St Vincent in the Carribean some years ago and whaling was part of their culture. They take very little as there is a very limited export market, not surprisingly, and very few are actually taken. I guess I'm one of the very few on this forum that have actually eaten whale meat.

As regards the WWF paper, I hope that they have either got it wrong for the North Sea or Jo Borg has one or two tricks up his sleeve.

I doubt either as the author is much too bright and the commissions and member states management of the CFP speaks for itself.

andyR