Fantastic Session - Multispecies award

Kappa

Andrew and myself went for a spot of trotting on Sunday. Great fun but one of the highlights was the sheer number of different species.

1 venue and 11 different species of fish! That must be a record for the UK ;)

Rich

Andrew and myself went for a spot of trotting on Sunday. Great fun but one of the highlights was the sheer number of different species.

1 venue and 11 different species of fish! That must be a record for the UK ;)

Rich

Jeez well done both of you....go on list them coz I am having a hard time to think of that number even allowing for another surprise Barbel....bullhead amongst them?? Ruffe??

Edit trotting for anything is just such great fun eh? face

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Jeez well done both of you....go on list them coz I am having a hard time to think of that number even allowing for another surprise Barbel....bullhead amongst them?? Ruffe??

It used to be said the Trent was so-called because it had thirty species. (French for thirty is Trente as most will know) Most of our larger rivers ought to rustle up at least twenty species although not necessarily in the same stretch, and some (eg lamprey, spined loach) not usually caught on rod and line.

A species list of the session would be interesting

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

My best species count from the same swim in a single session is 13! 18/09/04 I caught - gudgeon, dace, roach, perch, chub, pike, bream, grayling, barbel, rainbow trout, brown trout, bleak and minnow!! (point swim at Hambridge - river Kennet - when it used to be good!!!) And that in just 4 hours of fishing! :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My best species count from the same swim in a single session is 13! 18/09/04 I caught - gudgeon, dace, roach, perch, chub, pike, bream, grayling, barbel, rainbow trout, brown trout, bleak and minnow!! (point swim at Hambridge - river Kennet - when it used to be good!!!) And that in just 4 hours of fishing! :rolleyes:

C.

Chris you don`t post for a while then come out with a gem like that ,Rusty will be sticking pins in his voodoo doll of you muttering I should have fished the bloody river years ago bloody Plumb mutter mutter

• Like 2

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Chris you don`t post for a while then come out with a gem like that ,Rusty will be sticking pins in his voodoo doll of you muttering I should have fished the bloody river years ago bloody Plumb mutter mutter

Ha, I've long been aware that I've missed the Kennet's golden years but it's still where I want to fish. Cycles happen and maybe I'll be fishing it when the next one comes around connie_mini_oldman.gif

Well done to Rich & Andrew, I've managed a paltry 8 in one session from the venue CP mentioned. What did you catch?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I managed a mere five species tonight on Swindon's delightful little river Ray. It's largely fed from the same aquifer as the Kennet, though it must be even cleaner because it is then filtered through tens of thousands of Swindon kidneys and passed through a sewage plant! It has a colour which is reminiscent of Kipling's "grey green greasy Limpopo"and always makes me think the car park gate should have a "now wash your hands" sign. It is absolutely stuffed with little fish, and I've heard on the grapevine that the EA's stocking of little barbel have been coming out. Not for me they weren't! I had about forty or fifty fish in two and a half hours, mostly chub with a sprinkling of dace, gudgeon, bleak and perch, and the only one that would have needed a landing net was a perch which weeded me on the opposite bank then threw the hook. If it had been a match, I would have been delighted to see the needle go round past 5lb! Still, trotting is always satisfying.

69DBA765-ED23-4BB0-8BF4-2A31D0D7F969_zps

B2797366-78C5-4825-8215-AE190C214255_zps

• Like 1

The ruffe was a surprise! So was the number of gudgeon! A really fun afternoon. The biggest trout was rather hair-raising, we saw it rise for insects a few times but couldn't tempt it by fishing downstream, but it did fall for half a lob cast upstream and trundled back down the gravel shallows, eventually nobbling it right by my feet - amazing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music