Triploid Brown Trout

Otter of Poole

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of triploid browns but that is probably just me. I thought the triploid rainbows were, as already said from the heat treated eggs and were stocked into fisheries so that they spent no energy into forming eggs of thier own and thus staying in fairly good condition for most of the time. Just M.O.

Never really noticed any difference between triploid rainbows and normal ones though. Then again I have not eaten wild brownies either.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Triploid fish certainly are GM as they have three sets of chromosomes rather than the std 2, this is done by heat or pressure treatment of the eggs.

They then don't bother with nasty old engery sapping sex and just get bigger & bigger!

As for 'taste' factor, I find Triploids have a lot more fat in them and dont taste as good as a std fish unless smoked - when I cant tell the difference.

I very rarely fish for Triploid browns but Triploid Rainbows are the std fare at most fisheries hence the lack of 'red fish'.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Tried cooking commercial rainbows just about every way that you can think of and the taste still doesnt come up anywhere near a pan fried wild brownie. They have a muddy chemical taste which isn't surprising when you consider the growth hormones and cereal that they are fed in their early lives and no amount of clean water or copious feeding on natural insects before being caught will take away that taste.. I used to give them to my neigbours until they had enough too and politely said 'no'. Some like them but I doubt if they have really tasted a properly cooked wild fish in their lives..if they did then they would notice the difference. As pointed out, they carry a excess of white slimey fat that is sometimes difficult to cook out. But then they are bred to catch, not eat and triploids put on weight fast. Stocked stillwater big brownies are also doctored to ensure that they gain weight quickly. There are a few places around town where you can still catch native browns that are able to breed naturally... Frensham have some small native brownies in the top lake that are fun to catch on a four weight, although the owner insists on them being returned to the water.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Triploid fish certainly are GM as they have three sets of chromosomes rather than the std 2, this is done by heat or pressure treatment of the eggs.

They then don't bother with nasty old engery sapping sex and just get bigger & bigger!

As for 'taste' factor, I find Triploids have a lot more fat in them and dont taste as good as a std fish unless smoked - when I cant tell the difference.

I very rarely fish for Triploid browns but Triploid Rainbows are the std fare at most fisheries hence the lack of 'red fish'.

Triploid trout (or any other fish) are created by taking the egg & milt from a normal male / female trout, and after mixing they are heat treated. The emryo then develops into an apparently normal fish, which is unable to breed.

I'm not convinced this equates to gentic modification - its simply a case of heat affecting the developing emryo, rather than selective breeding.

Triploid trout (or any other fish) are created by taking the egg & milt from a normal male / female trout, and after mixing they are heat treated. The emryo then develops into an apparently normal fish, which is unable to breed.

I'm not convinced this equates to gentic modification - its simply a case of heat affecting the developing emryo, rather than selective breeding.

The whole idea behind triploids is that instead of wasting valuable resources growing eggs, all of the fishes energy goes into producing body mass.

Passage from a paper on triploid trout

It is appropriate to point out that triploids are not genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMO involves the transfer of a specific gene or group of genes from one organism to another which effectively changes the genetic make-up of the recipient organism, permanently. Triploidy, (in this case trout) on the other hand, is a natural phenomenon observed at low levels in nature, the frequency of which has been enhanced in the hatchery by application of a benign treatment, thus producing a population of non-maturing fish.

Advantages of Triploids in Sport Fisheries.

The most important advantage of triploids lies in the total sterility of female fish which therefore remain in good condition and free of fungal and other diseases normally associated with spawning and post- spawned fish, during the autumn and winter months. Consequently mortality rates are kept low or eliminated which improves efficiency when restocking for the fisheries manager and and therefore angler alike.

The use of sterile triploids also opens up the prospect for extending the angling season in put and take fisheries. In the absence of spawning fish there is no reason why fisheries should not remain open throughout the year providing anglers with well conditioned fish when conditions allow. Certainly a reduction in over wintering mortality can be expected from triploids allowing the restocking of fisheries to take place at the back end of the season and provide a well acclimated population of fish ready for the spring. This should help to eliminate the usual open day slaughter of naive trout from a late spring restocking and to provide a greater challenge for the experienced angler.

As for growth hormones and cereal....................you do need to find out the answers before you make ridiculous statements.

Flesh taint has far more to do with the water quality of the fishes recent environment, how it died and how it's been treated up to the point you ate it.

Fully informed comments welcome........

It is appropriate to point out that triploids are not genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMO involves the transfer of a specific gene or group of genes from one organism to another which effectively changes the genetic make-up of the recipient organism, permanently. Triploidy, (in this case trout) on the other hand, is a natural phenomenon observed at low levels in nature, the frequency of which has been enhanced in the hatchery by application of a benign treatment, thus producing a population of non-maturing fish.

The most important advantage of triploids lies in the total sterility of female fish which therefore remain in good condition and free of fungal and other diseases normally associated with spawning and post- spawned fish, during the autumn and winter months. Consequently mortality rates are kept low or eliminated which improves efficiency when restocking for the fisheries manager and and therefore angler alike.

The use of sterile triploids also opens up the prospect for extending the angling season in put and take fisheries. In the absence of spawning fish there is no reason why fisheries should not remain open throughout the year providing anglers with well conditioned fish when conditions allow. Certainly a reduction in over wintering mortality can be expected from triploids allowing the restocking of fisheries to take place at the back end of the season and provide a well acclimated population of fish ready for the spring. This should help to eliminate the usual open day slaughter of naive trout from a late spring restocking and to provide a greater challenge for the experienced angler.

As for growth hormones and cereal....................you do need to find out the answers before you make ridiculous statements.

Flesh taint has far more to do with the water quality of the fishes recent environment, how it died and how it's been treated up to the point you ate it.

I am Going to stay well away from the science as thier are far more clued up poeple on this forum than I when It comes to that sort of thing . I have caught Tripliod browns to 8.5lb at Spring Wood Trout fishery in Flimwell on the kent Sussex border at the time I was as pleased as punch to have caught a brown Trout of that size as although I had caught plenty of unalterd brownies on the Daranth up to two pound in wieght the chances of Happening across a fish of that size at other venues at the time where slim to say the least,

As far as the eating was concerned though Not nice! Very fatty.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Tried cooking commercial rainbows just about every way that you can think of and the taste still doesnt come up anywhere near a pan fried wild brownie.

Did you expect anything else? Even rainbow out of places like the Lake of Menteith don't taste anything like a nice brownie from Katrine or Arklet IMO.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

They are still freaks, and I would rather carve off my letftmost gonad with a rusty old Opinel than fish in a 'put and take' fishery whatever that may be.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote