Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

Hello Sharkbyte.

I am absolutely stunned by that! You have got to admire the cheek of some people by fishing commercially and then submitting their glory shots to the recreational angling press.

If they were caught on a rod and line why not?

whats the difference if a charter skipper sends in a photo of a personal best fish, wins best fish award, gets a reel or something for a prize, do you say " thats not fair he's out there every day "?

It does not say Recreational Sea Angler on the front of the mag.

These lads are enjoying themselves and earning money at the same time, I've been there got the teeshirt and still do occasionally, although I've never sent a fish in to the press.

I can think of a worse scenario.

I was once many years a go fishing from Mistley Quay river Stour for flounders, at high water a small hobby trawler came along side, he had a few bits and peices mainly flouders and a few soles, he also had a couple of thornbacks, one was a nice female about 14 lb, a chap who was fishing further along the quay came over and bought it from the trawler skipper. he then hung it on his trypod and telling people walking by who were interested in the fish that he had just caught it. Plonker I thought.

Any way the next week looking through the angling press, there he was proud as punch holding up the biggest shore caught Thornback ray from Walton on the Naze, he was in all the mags and papers and got prizes from them all.

Thats some bloody cheek.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people make bass out to be sacred?! If it were cod or pollack or plaice, this thread would be a fraction of the size, but it's not. Bass are fish, anglers catch and kill fish, it's just the way it is. No amount of moaning and complaining will make an iota of difference. A guy locally slaughtered a shoal of bass off the Sussex coast a few years back. He made a bloody fortune! Everyone knew about it, were more than p!ssed off about it and didn't talk to the guy for ages (he was an angler and a part time commercial). Yet another shoots his nets one winter, and caught a stack of cod. Cod were plentiful at the time and the market price was crap, not worth the time to fillet them. They all got lobbed back dead. And guess what, no b@stard even batted an eyelid about it!! Why? Cos cod aren't sacred like bass. What a load of cobblers!!

Why do so many people make bass out to be sacred?! If it were cod or pollack or plaice, this thread would be a fraction of the size,

If it existed in the first place :(

Double figure Cod & Pollack, Thornies etc are all well past their sell by dates but no one bat's an eyelid at the pictures of them dead in the angling mags :(

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Wurzel, maybe your right that currently it is acceptable to send in pics of commercially caught fish but am I the only person who finds it utterly distasteful? It'd be nice to hear a few other peoples views on it, don't worry I won't bite.

Doesnt that very statement tell you something, if bass were not such a fine sports fish there wouldnt be so mant angler who love them would there!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Doesnt that very statement tell you somethingh, if bass were not such a fine sports fish there wouldnt be so mant angler who love them would there!

Some how I think it's more down to being the only reasonably sized fish that can be caught from the Shore around the South coasts. If the Cod etc were still available in the numbers they used to be..it would be a different story.

Davy

Thornies etc are all well past their sell by dates but no one bat's an eyelid at the pictures of them dead in the angling mags

thornies have made a great comeback in my area and are far from past their sell by date. They may be in your area!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

What is all this 'why are Bass so special' thing again.

If the Cod, Thornback, Pollack nuts are so concerned what's stopping them? Shall we all pack in any concern for a species just because someone may not be supporting the Rockling fishery or something?

thornies have made a great comeback in my area and are far from past their sell by date. They may be in your area!

Sam try reading my post properly before having a pop at me..I Said DOUBLE FIGURE Cod & Pollack, Thornies etc are all well past their sell by dates. I was using the Sell By Date in the same context as you did earlier in the thread, meaning that they were not the best for eating.

Davy