Centre Pin Problem

76jerry

I Have found that the first few guides at the butt are better to be stand off and larger diameter, I think it is a lot to do with my style of 'Wallis' cast. the position of the first butt ring also makes a difference. It seems obvious, well to me any way, when you look at the angle of the line from the reel to the first guide.

I also prefer to use a rod that has stand off guides and more of them when in wet weather. stops the line sticking to the blank so much.

My third observation is with the tip guide, Fuji are better than Seymo as the metal frame is smaller and smoother. This helps when you hold the drop shot in the left hand and pull back on the tip before executing the wallis cast. The line pulls back over the frame and, with the seymo type guides, it causes line wear. With my Grey's Purist float the line goes all curly because of this causing poor casting distance and eventual possible snapping. I am going o be changing this tip guide to try it again after Christmas.

These are the first guides on a normark mkII microlite and a Daiwa Tornament Amorphous, the normark has the red whipping....

guides.jpg

gudes1.jpg

gudes1.jpg

Both rods have Fuji stamped guides. The normark rod has much more stand off guides as can be seen but the daiwa rod worked perfectly well. The drennan acolytes have guides (not fuji) about the same size as those on the Daiwa Tournamet and the older drennans have a larger diameter fuji guide but they're quite stumpy and have short legs, again they work great.

Was in Ringwood tackle over Christmas they had an Atom seemed much more free running than mine, Owner looked less than pleased when I told him the problems I had with mine and other users.Avon Angling had closing down signs in the window looks like another decent tackle shop going to the wall.

Why would you have the line coming off the top of a centre pin is it even possible to Wallis cast like this never found rings make much difference our not so you notice given the choice would go for high stand offs and more double legged rings always found single match style rings fragile which has put me off Drenman rods.

King pin do make a true pin but it is for the steelhead market and it is an ugly mother in my opinion they also make some interesting looking float rods that looked worth a go .

Was in Ringwood tackle over Christmas they had an Atom seemed much more free running than mine, Owner looked less than pleased when I told him the problems I had with mine and other users.Avon Angling had closing down signs in the window looks like another decent tackle shop going to the wall.

Why would you have the line coming off the top of a centre pin is it even possible to Wallis cast like this never found rings make much difference our not so you notice given the choice would go for high stand offs and more double legged rings always found single match style rings fragile which has put me off Drenman rods.

King pin do make a true pin but it is for the steelhead market and it is an ugly mother in my opinion they also make some interesting looking float rods that looked worth a go .

Maybe Ringwood have had issues on the quiet n'all....wouldn't surprise me!

I don't know of any true pins made by Kingpin, but I do know Stuart Ward prefers to deal with the American market, as he said to me uk anglers seem obsessed with aerial reels.

Tigger, I have some photos of the Avon reel but have not figured out how to insert them yet- long time since I put photos on here.

No worries bb, I usually pass the computer over to my Mrs and she puts them on for me....i'm computer illiterate lol.

It's not currently possible to upload pics from your computer: it should be and I don't know why it's not been sorted out as it's been farked for months.

You can upload to pics to an *image host* such as Photobucket, Flickr etc and then they will display.

If you go down that route you need to use the picture icon above the full reply box and a link to the pic, not the *attach files* tab below the reply box

E_crop2__zpswqjgmhfy.jpg

It's not currently possible to upload pics from your computer: it should be and I don't know why it's not been sorted out as it's been farked for months.

You can upload to pics to an *image host* such as Photobucket, Flickr etc and then they will display.

If you go down that route you need to use the picture icon above the full reply box and a link to the pic, not the *attach files* tab below the reply box

E_crop2__zpswqjgmhfy.jpg

Bloody hell Ajay, that's a strange looking chess set or very large checkers lol.

Bloody hell Ajay, that's a strange looking chess set or very large checkers lol.

.........and I always win, cos no-one else knows the rules - I'm not silly you know! :D;)

• Like 1