Whitby Porbeagle

Ian Burrett

I don't want to steel Daves thunder but he has just returned from a very successfull trip from Whitby on Sea Spray where they released a Porgie and also lost a bigger one.

Dave has being doing much research on behalf of SOS for this trip and spent much of his own money. He invited Leon and Norm B up to fish with him and Norm took the 110 Porgie. They also had 5 tope runs but failed to connect.

The Porgie was photographed and released

Malcolm the skipper of Sea spray will be offering 10 per cent discount to SOS members

Well done again Dave. You deserve the success

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all the lads who have been here this week It was a pleasure to meet you all the other night. I hope you all decide to come again.Cant wait to see the pics.

I understand Rich ward On shy torque managed to connect with A tope today which is good news for local fishing.

Edited by glennk

The whole trip has been excellent news for fishing in whitby. Not just us connect with both porbeagles and tope but Rich ward also hooked and lost both species. Could be time to put away the rippers for a while and try something new.

We have just got bsck to my house and will be putting pics up later in the weekend and a full in detail report.

For now ...to say we are happy is an understatement :yeah:

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Interesting experience being in the same boat as a very agressive, totally pi**ed off porbeagle!

All muscle, energy and attitude (I thought for a moment that Dave was going to lose an ankle just before he suddenly changed his mind about getting a girth measurement!)

Fantastic 3 days, despite the initial seasickness, absolutely awesome result, very good company (both in the boat and the pub).

My special thanks to Dave and to Malcolm for getting it all together, and for taking such good care of me throughout my trip 'oop North'.

Now the potential has been well proven anyone considering going out with Malcolm on Sea Spray for a taste of shark fishing in the North East should do so before it becomes too popular.

ps Malcolm is offering a 10% discount on shark angling trips for Save Our Sharks members!

http://www.save-our-sharks.org

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have a question about tope. I notice that it says the lads had 5 tope runs but never connected. When I fish the shore and have 2 bites and miss them I want to know why.

Why did these Tope not take the hook ? Is this common with tope fishing ? Or would a change in rig, bait size, hooks etc see an improved catch rate ?

I have a question about tope. I notice that it says the lads had 5 tope runs but never connected. When I fish the shore and have 2 bites and miss them I want to know why.

The question I have is . Were they tope runs or are tope runs so unique as not to be mistaken? OR

Maybe sammy seal grabbing the bait and then letting go? OR Large bass , pollock and the hook being too large?

This new type of fishing (in this area) I think will come up with a few surprises before long.

What are you expecting to see Howard ?

Malcolm has long been keen on Species hunting. Even in our shore fishing club he is the one who brings things to the scales never before seen. 1 night he brought 2 skate and on another, a dogfish - These species are never seen on the shore in this area - He does research thing well and will persevere.

When I speak to Malcolm I know he is expecting to catch Rays ,Turbot Skate and many more species at Whitby