Whitby Shark Trip

Fastd

This was always planned as a two pronged trip. The first trip was to try the larger tides and the second to try the smaller ones. We had originally planned to anchor one trip and drift the other. This went out of the window after reading that anchoring outfishes drifting 3:1.

Whilst we were fishing on the Thursday and Friday another boat skippered by Rich ward was fishing about ½ mile away. On the Friday he got a Tope of 35lb as reported on another thread on here and followed this up with a Porbeagle of 125lb on the Saturday caught by Guy Wrightson of Pontefract.

rwsat125.jpg

So that makes 2 porgies in 2 days.

The team this time was to be Myself and Malcolm along with Ian Burrett and Richard from Spotty Dog Tackle. The spare place was taken at the last minute by Graham who sent me a text on Sunday night to ask if I was going fishing at all that week.

Ian's main task for the trip was to try answer the lost tope problem (someone once mentioned he has a bit of experience in this subject) The trip was planned to start at 8 because Ian had a long way to travel, but when we arrived at the car park Ian was already there and unpacking our first surprise of the day from his car.

Those very nice people from Penn had responded to an very late email by sending a box containing four brand new International V 50vsw's loaded with 50lb nylon and to ensure they were not let down by the rods they had included four International V 2260 ARA 6' Tuna sticks. Now this is what I call proper shark fishing tackle and I for one was keen to see how they would cope if we did manage to repeat last weeks success.

So off we went down the dock feeling like proper shark anglers with an air of expectation instead of the hope we all had the previous week. A quick stop for fuel and we headed out, a quick stop for bait soon filled the bait buckets so that was a weight off the mind, then we headed out to the previous mark to anchor up as before.

We set up the shark rods as before with three fished on balloons and one line hung directly over the back of the boat. Ian helped us all tackle up for tope and we settled back to wait. We each chose a balloon colour, Ian's yellow, Graham's red, me green and Richard got the non suspended rod. It seemed the fairest way to decide who got the fish if it should happen. So we waited

And waited.

And waited.

Unlike last week we could get no signs from tope, ling or cod. All we got where whiting on anything but a whole mackrel. Its odd how the two days we have had someone onboard with tope experience we have failed to get any signs from them at all.

But the waiting wasn't to be in vain. As we had been setting up the rods I had commented that the clickers on the reels seemed to be rough and grating. Ian assured me they were designed right and told me to wait until hopefully we had a take. At around 3.30 we had reached the stage where we had discussed a finish time of 4.30. At around 4pm there was a slight click from Ian's rod. We all looked up as we did every time we had a bird-strike on the rods, the only difference was that this time Ian's balloon shot sideways 10 ft then disappeared. The reel clicker screamed out a tune that was music to the ears and could be heard all around the boat. The fish was taking line at a huge rate and continued to do so for a good thirty seconds. By the time the fish paused Ian had the rod out of the holder, lanyard disconnected and the clutch engaged. As it moved off again he wound down on it to set the hook and started reeling. Nothing...so he paused a while but the fish had dropped the bait. After a minute he started reeling in to re-bait and as what remained of his bait became visible we could clearly see the shark following it.

Over the next twenty minutes we tried everything to try and entice that fish. I was hanging over the back of the boat holding a baited line similar to the way you see kids crab lining. Twice the fish came for the bait and each time turned away at the last minute. Eventually the fish disappeared so all rods were re-baited and a new finish time was set for 5.30.

The time to leave approached and I went over and picked up a rod to start reeling in. Suddenly the balloon popped off the line and the line started going deep. It then started taking line fast for about 10 seconds. A quick check of the balloons told me it was Richard's rod so he was kitted out with a butt pad and harness. I engaged the clutch and wound down on it. No doubt this time we had a fish on. Richard took over the rod and he started to play his first ever shark. Now Richard is a well built guy but the fish just had its own way.

rod.jpg

Several screaming runs both away from and underneath the boat left Richard wondering just who was in charge. With Ian keeping up a constant stream of instructions and the rods and reels working to perfection eventually after nearly 1/2 hour the pressure was taking its toll and the fish came alongside.

ssalongside.jpg

In contrast to our capture the week before, we had ample time to prepare everything. The decks had been cleared, tagging kit, pliers and everything else we may need was at hand, and everyone had clear instructions as to what to do.

The fish was manoeuvred around the side of the boat to where the rail was lowest and the fish brought aboard.

It was neatly hooked in the jaw so the hook was removed.

hook.jpg

This particular fish lay quietly on the deck unlike the feisty one from the previous week. Measurements were taken along with photo's and once again the fish went back alive.

porgie180.jpg

On clearing up the deck afterwards we discovered the tag still in the canula ...we had forgotten to tag it ...but never mind.

Once again Whitby had delivered the fish this one we estimated at around 160-180 lb. All that was left was to reel in the rods and head for port.

As always we hit the pub to celebrate and watch the video and pictures on the laptop. Plans were made for the following day to try some inshore marks. Sadly this had to be called off due to bad weather so there the SOS Whitby trip ended.

There were several reasons for making the trip. To raise publicity for Whitby sharking and also for SOS being some of them but the main reason I organised it was because I wanted to catch a shark. Sadly this last aim remains the only failure of the trip, but at least I now know that some amazing fishing is available just an hours drive from my home.

I would like to thank Malcolm of Seaspray for the dedication, time and effort he put into making this trip successful and also Rich Ward of Shy Torque for sending me the photo's and details of the fish he caught over the same period to fill in the gaps and help prove that our first capture wasn't a one off. I would also like to thank Penn for the loan of the reels and rods as they helped make it possible for an absolute sharking novice to land a fish of a lifetime.

Thats all till next year because I would certainly like to make this an annual event.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report Dave

You can put me down for next year.

I would like to thank Dave for the time and effort he had put into these trips, and also offer a big thanks to skipper Malcolm from Sea Spray

He has set himself a task to establish a buisiness in Whitby other than Cod fishing and has had a fair ammount of ridicule from some of the other charter boats.

He has caught many species that are considered alien to Whitby, through shear persistnce and hardwork. These shark have stuck two fingers up to all the doubters. Well done mate. I would reccomend you to any one.

Also a quick thanks to Penn for the loan of the equipment. We were overgunned for this shark but one day I am sure we will read of a 4-500 lb shark being caught from Whitby

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Well done guy's :thumbs:

I'd be careful though on how this is publicised given the commercial value of porgies as it would only take 1 Longliner to wipe the place out :(

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Well done guy's :thumbs:

I'd be careful though on how this is publicised given the commercial value of porgies as it would only take 1 Longliner to wipe the place out :(

Yep.

I was talking to an old work colleague on the phone yesterday and was telling him about the sharks. He was telling me how a friend of his (a well known local ecentric) had planned to do Shark fishing a few years ago. I never thought any more of it till he added what an excellent price could be had for the fins. Time for a NESFC Shark protection byelaw perhaps ?

NESFC are doing research into this fishery and promoting it. Perhaps a byelaw should be tabled to protect it at the same time. Only up to 6 mile I know but something is better than nothing and would raise awareness. One for Nigel Perhaps.

Edited by glennk

All details of the capture have been sent to the NESFC and also to our dear friend the Doctor (who was on the first trip).

We cant expect a sfc to act to protect a species they dont know exists in their region, but hopefully by making the facts known to them they may consider an ammendment to the existing Tope bylaw which is already in place. This unfortunately won't protect the sharks from commercial exploitation further afield but hopefully one day we will see a european wide law in place.

dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

All details of the capture have been sent to the NESFC and also to our dear friend the Doctor (who was on the first trip).

We cant expect a sfc to act to protect a species they dont know exists in their region, but hopefully by making the facts known to them they may consider an ammendment to the existing Tope bylaw which is already in place. This unfortunately won't protect the sharks from commercial exploitation further afield but hopefully one day we will see a european wide law in place.

dave

:clap2: There will be a piece in my local paper about it too. The word is certainly getting around but I don't think it's possible to keep it from the commercials as they read the NG also. As a result of support in the way of advertising from Sea Spray, Shy Torque and Spotty dog Fishing Tackle I will be able to run a full page colour feature and may even find space for pictures of an 18lb ling used as an attractor, as well as the superb double shot of huge haddock caught by a well know but anonymous angler. Well done to all and no mean feat in achieving this. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B