My fifth oz report

Snatcher

My fishing destination for this one was the Port Douglas jetty where I had done so well on my previous outing.It was still dark as I left the apartment for the 5 minute walk down to the harbour. Not having a torch I tackled up by the light of a shop doorway.On reaching the jetty I chucked in some mashed up bread ,hoping that the mullet would make an appearance again.

1a.jpg

On went a piece of flake onto a No6 hook with a small shot about 18" away and I simply lowered the bread straight down into the water.I held it about two feet under the surface and could just make it out in the gloom. I just had to wait seconds for the first bite of the day.After a spirited scrap out came this black bream.It was duly unhooked and gently returned.

1-33.jpg

In the next hour I got another 5 bream but there was still no sign of those mullet that I was hoping for but I did notice a couple of very large sting rays spashing about on the surface out in the main channel.I then decided to switch to squid.This I also just freelined down as there was very little current beneath me. Within seconds I was into a fish and this was another new species for me. a spotted batfish and very pretty it was too

9-17.jpg

On went more bait and it was down seconds when I had another fish on,it was a black spot sea perch this time

10-13.jpg

At last I seen a shoal of mullet out in the main channel and I slowly managed to pull them towards me with the use of my bait catapult.

19-2.jpg

Eventually I had them directly beneath me and some must have pushing close to double figures.I was fair shaking with exitement as I lowered the bread down.After a few refusals and a bit nosing/bumping one did eventually take the bait.The fish went absolutely mental,what a scrap on light gear.It must have taken about 10 mins to tire out on my light spinning rod.Next came the problem of landing it unaided.

1-34.jpg

With the fish still on I transferred the rod from left to right hand around two pylons till I got it to a position to "hand" out.It was then quickly back up the stairs for a photo(its not the best self taken shot!!!) and back she went. I had to agree with Ian Burrett,he did warn me that the warm water fish went really hard.

2a.jpg

While I was playing the fish I still managed to drop in a few bits of bread to keep the mullet with me.Still shaking with exitement I lowered another piece of bread it and this time one of the larger mullet took it first time.Again a long frantic fight with me trying to keep it away from the jetty structure.This one actually tailwalked a couple of times.It was back up the stairs again for a quick picture and back she went.Check out that great paddle of a tail.

3a.jpg

On went another bit of bread as I went for my mullet hat trick.An even larger mullet took it this time.I just had it on for about 10 seconds before it snapped me off.The same thing happened again twice more in the next ten minutes. I had not noticed the 15lb mono had become chaffed in the previous two scraps so I decided to call it a day and go back to the apartment to respool.

As I was tackling down this charter boat was just sailing by. I did not know it then but this was the skipper who was going to take me out the the reef for a terrific days fishing a bit later on.

4a.jpg

After breakfast the wife said she fancied a few hours down the beach so I decided to take the fishing gear along with us - just in case.Well it was red hot and the girls decided to read in the shade of a palm tree. I tackled up and tried ledgered squid.I was well over knee deep in the water when a lifeguard passed me and advised that there were quite a few stingers about.I was out like a flash.

To the left of us was a group of rocks so I decided to try off those.I rigged up a sliding float using squid for bait

5a.jpg

I must have been there about an hour with not a sniff when away zoomed the float.

11-11.jpg

It was a Moses perch this time. I could see the girls getting ready for a move so had one last cast and finished up getting a bonny indo-pacific sergeant.

12-10.jpg

Well it really had been a fantastic day for me. Now the wife does fish occasionally and she said she would like to fish the jetty with me next morning.Being a gent,and only having one set of gear I offered to ghillie for her next day. That will be my next report - and she certainly did not blank !!!!!!

A big thanks to Vagabond for helping me with the fish identification.

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Good one, mate. That diamond mullet would have made great bait for many of the sought-after fish around the jetty. I like the sargeant major, they are very common around here and are well regarded in tropical aquaria. That one is particularly well coloured and they only grow to 6".

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Good one, mate. That diamond mullet would have made great bait for many of the sought-after fish around the jetty. I like the sargeant major, they are very common around here and are well regarded in tropical aquaria. That one is particularly well coloured and they only grow to 6".

Great bait Bobj? What species you talking about? Crocs :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Thanks Snatcher for taking the time out to produce these reports, I always make a point of reading . . with the easy bit . . . 'enjoying'

Would not mind having a go for those Mullet with an Avon rod ! Methinks it would be better to be afloat and get the fish into open water . . . . wow :D

Andrew Boyd

Great bait Bobj? What species you talking about? Crocs :rolleyes:

Great bait for the highly fancied golden snapper (fingermark bream) and the estuary cod (goldspot cod)

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...

Fab reporting while you are on holiday, top man. regards. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Fab reporting while you are on holiday, top man. regards. :)

:D Minus two this morning, was going to have a few hours after flounders off the shore at Horsea Island but as we're out for drinks at 1300 Mrs B didn't think it a good idea as I tend to "forget" the time when I'm fishing, so it looks like Wednesday as I'm out on a boat from Langstone tomorrow and Poole Cod Comp Tuesday. Great this morning too, flat calm and wind over the shoulder, still, might be better Wednesday. :lol: