Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

Leon, just on the rare off chance you may have been referring to me.

Be assured I lobby my MP on a regular basis and he agrees with almost everything I say.

Incidentally, my MP is Michael Howard.

Unfortunately, my correspondence to Messrs Bradshaw and Salter doesn't even get acknowledged.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cranfield:

Leon, just on the rare off chance you may have been referring to me.

I could have been

Be assured I lobby my MP on a regular basis and he agrees with almost everything I say.

Incidentally, my MP is Michael Howard.

Unfortunately, my correspondence to Messrs Bradshaw and Salter doesn't even get acknowledged.

I know you do Cranfield :)

I've been miffed in the past when I've not had a reply from Bradshaw, yet I find later that he has followed through on our suggestions.

I've often been amazed at how busy and harrassed he is, rushing from one meeting to another, overunning on time at each, carrying a huge bundle of paper that grows bigger as the day progresses, and yet he always appears to be well briefed and interested in what people have to say.

As long as he's following through with the right actions, I'll forgive him his lack of replies to correspondance.

I much rather have a man spending his time making things happen, bringing about change than dictacting meaningless replies.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Nice spin there Leon.

So if they reply and show an interest, they are "dictating meaningless replies" ?

But, if they fail to even acknowledge your correspondence (something my Mother always told me was very rude), it mean they have taken every word to heart and are acting on it immediately ?

I think you have spent a bit too much time drinking in bars with these people, its rubbing off on you.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield, see:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=218

". Provide a central focus for sea angling in our Coastal Waters team"

( http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/sfp/newcourse.pdf )

I met Anne Sharp of the Fishing Industry Management Division at the DEFRA Marine Bill Stakeholder Forum a couple of weeks ago.

She introduced herself as the head of the division which includes the Coastal Waters team, in which the DEFRA person with specific responsibility for angling will be accommodated 'once he finishes his current assignment in Brussels' (I heard today that he's now in place).

So, from a position where DEFRA said that they weren't responsible for Recreational Sea Angling, we now have a section, and a person, in DEFRA responsible for sea angling.

That may not be much. We shall see. But it isn't just 'spin'!

Simply ignoring a letter is rude.

Simply answering 'We note the points that you have made' is useless.

Action is preferred (though yes, it would be nice to have something that says 'We have acted on the points you have raised', but I'd sooner have the action than a thousand such replies to a thousand people.

(And who knows, he may have replied but the Post Office, sorry Royal Mail, lost it!)

er, it wasn't a bar, it was a pub, and a 'proper' pub too!

And it wasn't Bradshaw (he's only a junior minister, this was the real McCoy!)

And the more time we can get to spend telling them that we exist, what our potential is, and what we need to fulfil that the better.

'Too much time'

If only!!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 13. October 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Ive met Anne bloody Sharpe as well,seems she's changed jobs, ~#** little person, mind you I supose she'll be a good allie to your cause,

I still think you are being well and truly sucked in.

I fish to live and live to fish.

wurzel:

cod prices have doubled, but there arn't any, as soon as there is then the price will come down.

So, by that token, you're saying that the more you land of a species, the lower the price?

Isn't that an argument for reducing quotas (or sticking to them), thus ensuring optimum market price for you guys and maintaining fish stocks? :confused:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest jay_con

That was always my thought with regard to the market place. As supply falls the price rises therefore profits remain equal. The quota system is as evil as its made out to be.

Hello Elton & @autum@

In theory thats how the quota could work, and to a cival servant sitting behind a desk in london thats exactly how they see it. Inpractice it soon becomes obvious thats not the case. I'll try to explain the reality in my area.

At the moment there is not much cod about, I don't know of any boat in the area that is targeting cod, several boats including myself are fishing for dover sole, switching to bass every know and then, other boats are potting , these days with mild winters as with sole fishing potting can be done all year, others are lining for skate or will start drifting for herring.

So the odd box of cod that gets put on lowestoft market, caught say by us in the sole nets or some body lining for skate would fetch top money the merchants would practicaly fight over it.

If enough cod turn up for boats to target them then every body switches over to cod fishing, it does not take that much fish on the market before the prices start to drop, and it's not because of big boats landing tons of fish,in this area more like 50 small boats landing 4or5 boxs.

I fish to live and live to fish.