The Best Birthday Present Ever!

natty

Usually at this time of year, I fish easy waters, highly stocked with mainly small carp. However, it is my 17th birthday tommorow and I wanted the chance of a decent carp shaped birthday present, even if it meant a good chance of a blank, so I decided to have a day session on a specimen lake (Falkenvil Fisheries Specimen Lake). As it was a special occasion, my dad kindly agreed to wake up with my at 3:30am, so we could catch the 5:30am train to Polegate. We managed to make the train with 3 minutes to spair and arrived in Polegate at 6am. The cycle ride took about half an hour and we finally arrived at the specimen lake at half past six.

I fumbled around in the dark and managed to set up my two rods and both were soon cast out. The baliff came around about an hour later and informed me that you can fish 3 rods on the lake, I had only brang two as most of the other lakes near me all have strict 2 rod limits. I had only been there for about an hour and already felt handicapped!

On one rod I had two Carp Vader Halibut Crab pellets hair rigged to a size 12 Korda Wide Gape B and on the other I fished a small chunk of Pepperami. Both rods were fished with a small PVA bag of Carp Vader 2mm and 4mm feed pellets in a variety of flavours mixed together, to this I added a few grains of corn and pepperami shavings to get more attraction near my hookbait.

All remained quiet until at just gone half past nine, I recieved a twitchy take on the pepperami rod, I struck and my strike was met with weak resistance, but I was pleased to see a pretty little common in my landing net.

Here it is:

347947238.jpg

After no more action to either rods for a couple of hours I recast them both into open water. Twenty five minutes later a carp made off with my double 6mm pellet hookbait and straight away it felt like a decent fish and started stripping line off a tight clutch as it charged towards the far bank. I finally managed to pump it into the margins and I watched it chug up and down under the rod tip in the clear water for a few minutes, I was just praying my size 12 hook would stay in as it looked like a definite upper double and maybe a low twenty. I was relieved when it finally rolled into the net. On the bank it looked magnificent and when the digital scales read out 21lb 7oz I was ecstatic. Not only had it easily beaten my previous best common carp of 16lb 9oz, it was bigger than my previous overall carp best (18lb 8oz mirror) and to top it off it was my first 20! Now that is what I call a birthday present!

Here it is:

347947280.jpg

347947333.jpg

347947368.jpg

I had no further action, until I was packing up, which resulted in a little mirror carp of around 5lbs to a small chunk of pepperami. By 4pm everything was tied back up on the bikes and as we made the long journey home, I just reflected on what had been a truely magnificant day - I ended up with 3 winter carp, including my first ever 20! What a way to end 2008 and what a splendid birthday present.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice fish and an even nicer smile! :thumbs:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well done; for the fish and for making the effort :thumbs:

And have a happy birthday

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'm humbled by your enthusiasm Natty, a fantastic day, well done.

You might want to cut dad some slack next time he's giving you grief about something.

Many happy returns.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Nice one, Natty. Seriously, you're a great advert for angling!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Congratulations Awsome looking fish :) and nice to see an angler smile, them people who try look serious make me laugh Lol. If i caught a huge fish i wouldnt be able to keep the smile off my face Lmao.

Well done and happy birthday.

Lord, help me to catch fish so large this season, that talking of them afterwards, I have no need to lie.