in emergency

tack4

found this on NESA and good advice too.

we all know how difficult it is sometimes to get a good signal on ya mobile whilst fishing this bit of coast with the high cliffs etc

112 is the international emergency service mobile number.

If you dial this number on any mobile phone, in any part of the world, including the UK: you will be connected to that countries emergency services. You can dial 112 even if the keypad is locked or the sim card removed.

As fishermen you will be aware that at times you will lose your network signal.

999 calls require that signal.

If you dial 112, it accesses all mobile terrestial masts. Orange Vodaphone H20 Mercury; you name it: it tries all network relay masts in sequence: until it finds a signal.

Therefore dialing 112 gives you a far higher chance of contacting emergency services in remote areas than dialing 999.

Passed on to me by a mate who's a paramedic: their instructions are to use 112 if calling emergency services from remote areas. This should be made public knowledge, but apparently it isn't.

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Oh God not again!!! Please don't be fooled, it's a hoax that could cost your life by relying on false information. No signal equals just that, no signal. Press release from London Transport:

Press release: 27 July 2005

Misleading e-mail

A misleading spam e-mail has been widely circulated which claims that by dialling 112 you can get through to 999 even without having an available signal on your mobile phone - this is completely untrue.

Dialling 112 only works if you have a signal on your mobile phone

A London Underground spokesperson said: "This e-mail is incorrect.

"The 112 number does link people through to 999, but it only works if you have a signal on your mobile phone.

"If you have no signal bars on your phone, it will not work.

"It will not divert to a satellite signal.

"Even with a satellite mobile phone (which very few people have), you would need to have a clear line-of-sight to the satellite.

"You would have to be outside, not in a building or a Tube tunnel.

"The 112 number is the European equivalent of 999."

Ends

There's some sickos out there! Don't get caught out. If you go fishing in places with no signal, take a couple of flares or at least a torch (at night) and learn ... --- ... Your only chance

our emergency number here in spain is 112.it will work if you have no credit on your phone,sometimes i get a message up on the screen saying"no network-but emergency calls will work".

very strange, you would have thought that if there was no network, then nothing would work?

dave.

Its now in my phone under SOS Andrew, Belt and braces mate.

Hope your kids have it in their phones as the last twice I have fished with their dad he has taken a "dip" :):)

Hope to get to yours Friday tea time with Caitlins upgaded pc. Thinking about fish n chips on the front in Stranraer if theweather is ok,fancy it?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

C-C, I think I'm right in saying that all pay-as-you-go mobiles will work for emergency numbers even if you don't have any credit on them. The network is still there, it's just that there will be a block on outgoing calls except emergency numbers. Very nicely thought out imo.

Have you noticed that on most mobiles, even though the keypad is locked you can still key in the emergency numbers....

Tight lines

[ 04. September 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

2 months ago I had a car go under the front of the coach i was driving (nobody hurt luckly but only just).Where the accident happened there was no signal on the mobile. Dialing 999 and 112 was no good as if there is no signal how can the phone work. Don,t relie on your mobile as the only way of comuication.

112 will work on the british network just as 999 will but you still need a signal.