Not happy with cheap tackle

Pangolin

Just over a year ago, I went to my tackle dealer, looking to buy a new carbon float rod to replace my fibreglass ones. I said I wanted one that had the power to cope with double-figure fish, but I didn't want to spend big money. I ended up happy with the dealer's recommendation: a Ron Thompson 'G-Force Carp match'rod and (free) Okuma Interceptor biterunner reel: cost was about sixty quid. Having used both for a year, I'm just about ready to put them out for the bin men. The rod has rings that are too close to the blank, making wet line stick so that it is impossible to let line out without casting. It has been pushed beyond its capability by carp weighing around six pounds, which it has been unable to 'turn', when they have headed for snags. The reel seat allows the Okuma to wobble and twist, even when tightened. The reel has the most brutal trip, which causes the reel to get stuck if I gently wind forward to close the bale-arm. It has suffered more line-loops and tangles than any fixed-spool reel I've ever owned. I've become a dab-hand at taking the spool off, to free line trapped underneath (yes, it has a skirted spool). Yesterday, I had to tighten the drag whilst playing a big fish and it was unbelievably fiddly: the drag wasn't progressive either, forcing me to switch so that I could backwind. I have two other inexpensive reels, a Zebco and a Cardinal, both of which have caused me no trouble. The 'Carp match' rod doesn't seem to know what it is designed to do, and the Interceptor is a bird's-nest waiting to happen. I shall avoid both makes in future.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Sorry you've had problems with cheap gear, but 'cheap' doesnt always mean 'rubbish' I've been using a pair of Ron Thompson Gladiator ultralites for some time and they are (in their class) every bit as good as other lightweights that I've previously and currently owned including Loomis. Made of IM8 carbon, well finished and a fast action. At £27 they compete with rods that sell for ten times that amount. There are also a lot of very satisfied Okuma owners out there.

Ah well you can please some of the people some of the time.....................

[ 27. July 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I had a ron thompson match rod when I first came back to the sport, rated for up to 5lb line. Just could not get on with it at all, had the same problems with the reel seat as yourself and although rated for a 5lb line it just did not have the power to turn even 4-5lb carp. Gave it to a mate and he loves it. Horses for courses I suppose but not for me im afraid. Got a free okuma dynacarp baitrunner with a magazine subscription and I love it, works great, light and powerful enough for my fishing.

Gary

I had a Ron Tompson G-Force Carp rod snap in half on holiday a month ago, caught in some seaweed. There wasn't much bend in the rod and I was more jiggling than pulling at it, and the thing just snapped on me. Quite pathetic really I thought.

Bought an Ugly Stik instead for less money and that thing would take anything.

I have been meaning to send a letter to Ron Thompson to complain. If all us victims of their shoddy gear do it they might listen!

Simon

PS I have no problems with Okuma, I have a bait runner reel of theirs and I think it is superb value for money

[ 27. July 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: BoozleBear ]

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

i have a ron thomson c14 feeder rod and i am very happy with it and i have had 3 okuma reels 2 of which i am happy with but the one brahma 330 i brought of ebay is ready for the bin after 1 season, but what do you expect for 20 quid.

hmmmm really

With most fishing tackle (and other things), my experience is, you get what you pay for. :)

Occasionally, there will be nugget turn up, to surprise you, but not usually.

Another thing to take into account is usage.

Some of the cheaper stuff relies on the Buyer going fishing once a week, at the most.

If they do, it will probably last a few years.

I have a Penn Seaboy reel that is 40 years old and as good as the day I bought it.

Why ?

I,ve never used it.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

you get what you pay for,but nowadays profit comes before most things ,at least with Intrepid you bought junk but knew at least you could hammer on the door of the factory or kick the firms cat for vengence :D

nowadays its some sweatshop in china ,a tad further :D and although cheap as chips it WAS british made so you could ambush the boss (well maybe not after Gladding got hold of them)

[ 27. July 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All though I would always advise to buy the best tackle you can I would suggest that price isnt always the best indication of quality.There is in my opinion (as some one who has brought a lot of tackle over the years and dealt with the trade both in design and retail) a lot of hugely over priced equipment out there.A lot of this is exactly the same item but under a different name as a much cheaper item! I kid you not.Before any retailer out there wants to shoot me down I am no longer in the trade and will have no qualms in giving examples! The secret is to shop around and look at tackle.Also these days the internet gives a great place to hear others opinions of tackle.One tip here though is to try and find out what the person is comparing the piece of gear to.After all that is what gives the person his opinion and if it varies too much from your own experiences it will be not of much worth to you.

Another thing to take into acount is the life span of a piece of kit.For example the first Mitchell 300 reel I brought over 35 years ago is still servicable and would catch just as much as any modern reel.It was expensive in its day but if you were to divide the price by the countless thousands of hours of use then I think it would be very good value indeed.

On the other hand due to my vast bulk even the most expensive of chairs only last me a season or two tops.Cheap versions from the likes of Badger (and possibley a little better)Fladden obviously fair no better but they are a third of the price.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!