why do we bother

Andy_1984

weedbuster7.jpg

just received a ton of spinner blades from a friend and went out and got me some spinner bodies some of which were the snowman bodies in gold so im sitting down surrounded in a shed load of spinner making stuff and i look over at my expensive fox weedbuster spinner. "I can make that cheaper" i thought to myself, and i did.

i couldnt however find a good bucktail substitute so some of the strands of hair or what ever it is from the brush done the trick, epoxied in to a pen spring on the shaft

if i had to calculate all the parts it was probably only about £1.50 - £2.00

think i paid £7 for an origonal and there is absolutely no difference "looks wise" and mines probably spins a lot better aswel gauranteed

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

How long did each lure take to make Andy? For me (being time-poor) this constitues the greatest cost factor.

And... where did you buy the lure parts from? If online, a link woud be appreciated.

MC

for the fox imitation it took about 5 minutes.

my mate got about 300 mixed spinner blades from ebay at a cost of £17, less than a penny a blade and 50 pieces of shaft wire for a tenner im sure, so thats 20p a piece

beads i got from an angling shop ages ago, about 100 of them for about £6 and weights i got from an angling shop for £1.50 for about 15 of them 10p a piece

clevises were £2.25 for 50 of them just waiting on an order from a local tackle shop for the boob shaped clevises which are in my opinion the best there is.

so its certainly more affordable to make your own

beads you can get cheaper online from http://www.justbeads.com though most of my beads i get from my mum when she gets fed up of a necklace she bought :D

er yeah i just realised my maths calculations are total wrong............

Edited by Andy_1984

I'm not a big lure angler, but the most consistant lure I've ever used (and still use it now) is a silver spoon I made when I was a teenager by, ahem, borrowing a desert spoon from the kitchen draw, hacksawing off the handle, drilling a small hole at either end, and fitting split rings, treble hook and swivel. I remember showing it to Rich at the perch stream last season, wobbling it through the margins - he didn't look convinced but an enormous perch shot out from under the reeds by our feet, had a swipe at it, missed and disappeared :rolleyes: Over the years I've caught hundreds of pike and perch on it.

I could never bring myself to spend the amounts of money some lures command. I prefer a bag of sprats to wobble!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

why do we bother, paying so much for lures ?

errr i dont :D

the reason they are so expensive is because they are bought ,if they wernt they would come down in price just like everything else.

the reason they are expensive here is because they are sold at hyped up prices ,this price lets the company sell it at the real price everywhere else just like everything on the market ,silly GB pays the big price so everyone else gets it at the low price and buying it at that price in GB just ensures low prices everywhere else.

just not buying until the seller drops the price gets GB a good deal just like everyone else

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

When i was younger my grandad showed me how to make a lure out of a teaspoon and to be honest ive caught just as many fish on that than any of the ones u get in the tackle shop lol.

Im never gonna forget the 1st time i used it while with one of me mates, he laughed his head off, wasnt laughing when it caught the 1st and biggest fish of the day Lol.

U def dont need to spend a fortune on ready made lures when u can make ur own that are just as good.

Lord, help me to catch fish so large this season, that talking of them afterwards, I have no need to lie.

When i was younger my grandad showed me how to make a lure out of a teaspoon and to be honest ive caught just as many fish on that than any of the ones u get in the tackle shop lol.

Im never gonna forget the 1st time i used it while with one of me mates, he laughed his head off, wasnt laughing when it caught the 1st and biggest fish of the day Lol.

U def dont need to spend a fortune on ready made lures when u can make ur own that are just as good.

lures can be made from prety much anything, im going to be experimenting with making some wooden lures shortly, theres nothing like catching a fish on your own home made lure. that said im gonna try a spoon next :D

I understand the satisfaction of catching on something which one had made, I have been tying my own flies for years, and while not having made a spinner/lure from scratch I do enjoy tampering/modifying them (and it has worked).

However, to answer the original question, 'why we bother paying so much' , it may be the pleasure of retail therapy and the empowerment which comes from it, we all love to shop........................don't we?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

it may be the pleasure of retail therapy and the empowerment which comes from it, we all love to shop........................don't we?

I think that is true. also my natural cack handidness when making anything. mind you i could be tempted to give it a go one day.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/