Kayakfishing chat.....

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

We now have at least two folks on the forum as regulars who are whiz-bang with cameras and from the underwater shots, not shy about taking them to sea.

Might be worth saying something to Ken Davidson and underwaterimages about what you are trying to do. My guess is they would be willing to help out unless location is all wrong.

I visited my local BassPro shop before work today and finally remembered to take along my camera. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow of what I saw in their 'canoe' section. Bunch of brightly colored logs of various designs - indian, sit-in, sit-on, single person, bunch of persons.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YY, I understand where your coming from with the UKKA idea but to be brutally honest I got a yak because it allows me to be in control and gives me a lot of freedom.

I care about what advice we give here on AN but do not want to get involved in clubs and all that goes with that. I'd be happy to just keep everything informal and based on trust in the people you get to know. Clubs mean a pile of work that usually falls on a very few while a lot of others take the **** from what I've seen over the years. The certainty is it means less yak fishing for those doing the organising.

Lifes short and fishing from a yak is too good to miss :P What do you want to remember for? that you started the UKKA or that day on the yak?

Hi Simon E, nice to see you back :) Interesting about the yak sales; I got that impression at the Chandlers at Queensferry last year - salesman (who knew nothing about fishing) told me SOTS were "flying out the door" then, and a lot of the designs going out were the fishy kinds like capers.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Tony Wan,

Great stuff. Which end of the country is best for you? I am slap in the middle rememeber, so can go anywhere - that is precisely why I am here. Fishing is lousy though!

Your timing of a few weeks would be spot on. Where are there any fish at this time of the year? (ANY time of the year!) Dabs along the south coast - Spring was always a good time for Slapton. Salcolmbe Estuary might be a good venue. Usually some late flatties there - good spot for plaice I seem to remember just inside the bar. An easy launch, paddle and nice backdrop. AND the benefit of a really good pub or twenty. Just don't want any wind with North or South in it!

How would that sound to you YY - not too far for you is it?

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Forgot!

Flares - COMET are a good German made pyro. They do an excellent handheld red rocket - individually packaged in sealed poly bags - with tear starts for easy/cold hand fumbling. Weigh virtually nothing (less than 1/2 oz each) Fire to 80m with a 10 sec burn time. Perfect for the Yak. Economical and safe too - buy 3 at least.

I would also advocate the personal flare packs - 8 or 9 in a rubber pack. Lanyard hole for attaching to your person - or bag. About £20. They are specified as personal flares to be carried by all persons taking part in Offshore Racing - scrutineering item. No flare pack, no go. They have proven background and are easy on the pocket and easy to use. Very compact.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Some random pictures of the canoe section. Some of these don't look very much like seagoing craft though. I suspect they will have a better selection when the weather starts to warm a little.

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Simon I'm up for it, did a photoshoot for the sight last year at Saundersfoot, flat calm but blowing force 6 so it was a bit of a mad dash between puffs, managed to get some nice shots though.

It might be worth considering Poole Harbour, if it's windy we should be able to find a sheltered spot, never fished there though, there are some nice deserted beaches around Arne, not sure if the area is a nature sanctury, might need investigation.

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Tony,

Have a look at the two piece paddling gear, bib and brace with Cag, not sure that I would go for the dry suit had one years ago, really nasty, seals were tight, cos they had to be, damn thing use to inflate as I got hot, breathable ones may be better, and it got really smelly.

Get advise from your local paddle shop, above all, aim to keep your head and kidneys warm. I have windsurfed throughout the winter and used a one piece Neil Pryde wetsuit, the neoprene they use is so flexible it felt more like a summer suit. I have paddled in it, but found my kidney area was getting cold, otherwise didn't have any problems ie no rubbing!

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Yakity,

UKKA was and still is a great idea, don't know what happened to it!

We should resurrect, if need be I can, will start the site, but I do not want to run it, I have far too much time needed on Anglers Afloat this year.

We need to get the URL registration stuff back off of gone fishing and I'll get a Home page and Safety page launched, the rest will need to be done by another web geezer we will also need to find some free hosting space or else we will all need to chip in (register).

Let's get on with it. :D

We need 4 yakkers to get things approved and rolling.

Don't let Mrs Starvin know she will kill me.

SM

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Simon, I am based at Bournemouth Dorset but will travel if theres good potential fishing to be had.

Poole harbour is not a bad location to do the shoot at. As Starvn mentions there are sheltered areas (regardless of wind direction). The only problem I forsee is that its March and not a lot is being caught now. Poole Habour in the lower reaches may produce late flounder and early plaice coming in (+bass) but the shore fishing is very patchy at the moment. Poole Harbour will be the first place I will try kayak fishing as I want to try over a deep water channel for the flounder (many of which will have left the harbour to go spawn in the deeper open sea by now). If I get my cold water gear sorted soon I should be able to report back as to how its fishing.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Many thanks Yakity,got your hooks today and will put them to good use. Say hello to the babies for me!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy