New Years Honours list

wotnobivvy

I could only find one mention of angling, and would hazard a guess that it was an EA employee:

http://www.honours.gov.uk/media/12441/queens_list2009.pdf

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you cannot tell me luck has nothing to do with fishing successes.

Ah, but what is luck ?

"Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity" Seneca - Roman philosopher a couple of thousand years back.

The better prepared you are, the likelier you are to recognise and exploit the opportunity when it comes.

Someone once accused Gary Player of being a "lucky" golfer

"That's true" said Gary, "and do you know, the more I practice, the luckier I get"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

No Im afraid I disagree to Andy.When you get into even the lowest rank of match fishing you will find that the same few people win most of the time. The higher you go the more this is seen.I just cnt belive that "consistency" can be put down to luck in match angling anymore than it can in any other sport.

I agree, Budgie, the effects of chance are averaged out over the years. In any case, in any reasonably complicated activity, luck will play some part in individual events, even if it's just whether or not the other competitors are on form on the the day.

I'm a bit ambivalent about awards for sporting success in whatever the field - I tend to think that they should be for recognising contributions to society rather than just for winning. I'd be handing them out to people like Chris Yates, for his contribution to angling literature, or to people who run schemes to get disadvantaged kids fishing, or to the people responsible for the restoration of the Wandle.

Yes I tend to agree with Steve here.Its about people contributing/giving to the benifit of our country/people that really matters not just being sucsessfull.The sucsess it self brings its own rewards where many/most of the (in my opinion) deserving people dont get any reward therefore why they should get gongs!

Let me first say that this next comment isnt a nock at Bob Nudd as I dont really know enough about him other than his remarkable angling skills to comment.But for the point of discussion other than working very hard to be a top class angler and proving it many many times what has he actually done to benifit angling/anglers beyond being a role model and within the constrints of his employment as a proffesional angler?

Then compare this to the work done by the likes of for example Les Webber?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!