Fixed spool clutch

wezza

I would suggest ...

Have a good length of line threaded through your rod rings, and get a friend to hold the end of the line. Or tie it to somthing solid.

Hold your rod vertical, and walk slowly backwards.

When your rod tip bends over to almost 90 degrees ( ie .. level with the ground) set your clutch so it just slips.

This is only a generalisation. A lot depends on the breaking strain of your line, the stiffness of your rod,and the conditions that you are fishing under.

[ 09. February 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: MrWiggly ]

The Older I get .. The better I was.

I use a set of spring balance, weighing scales.

Put the reel on a rod.

Tighten your clutch up as far as possible,tie the end of the line to a spring balance and then take up the strain.

Release line, until your clutch activates at 70% of the reel lines breaking strain.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Wezza?

How come all the new posties are asking unanswerable questions?

How you set the clutch on a fixed spool is allied to. 1/ size of spool.

2/ class of line.

3/ size of lead and bait.

4/ type of fishing. beach,rock,pier?

5/ class of rod.

6/ another few imponderables!!

The basics are! What are you fishing for?

What type of venue ( clean or rough bottom).

Are you targetting species or casting the bait and hoping?

I`ll stop here because to give a truthful answer would turn into reams of print-out!!

But a few basics. Heavy ground? Use heavy line, big reel and not too much clutch.

Rock fishing for wrasse and such? You can`t allow the fish any leeway! You have to hold them in the water. Once they get their heads down? They`ll be back in the rocks, and you`ll be tying a new rig!

There are lots of `rules of thumb`, but they all fall down when you shift ground, strength of tide etc, or even catching the odd lucky monster!

Keep the clutch heavy! If on a beach be prepared to walk after the fish. If on a rock? Be prepared to let the clutch give a little more?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

As already said, hard question to answer properly.

I fish with the clutch up tight, mainly for beach fishing because if it isn`t when you try to cast and get the full power into the rod the clutch starts to slip if it is set to light.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

• 2 weeks later...

its extremly easy , no scales needed , if you wind in with a big fish and your rod or line snaps its too tight , if you reel in and you see your spool revolving and suddenly all the lines gone its too loose , the happy medium between the two is what your after :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson