radical plan for improving sea fish stocks

john frum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weve had artificial reefs over here for years as well. lots of old tyres chained together,in no time they are colonised.

as far as shipwrecks go,i think you will find they all have an owner.

best wishes dave. :)

Everyone seems to agree that it's an obvious idea so why isn't there any lobbying for it? It'd cost a bit to get the scrap into place (although decommissioned ships are easy enough to move - and there are trawlers etc that someone, probably the EU, is paying to have scrapped.) It would be good way of getting rid of all kinds of durable crap that otherwise has to be processed for disposal.

I thought the main objection to be overcome would be that the residual fuel & oil was a major hazard, so that it would be necessary to get some scientific support for the idea.

& it seems tyres don't float. Particularly when filled with concrete.

• 3 months later...

about to start a project on this so ill let you know if i find anything useful. With tyres now costing so much to dispose of properly (and really, where exactly are they going when properly disposed of???) the reef idea should be a hit. But it isnt... and who knows why!

MJB:

Theres a fantastic one out in Weymouth Bay created when the Russian Mackerel ships are in. The crew buy up all the scrap Skodas and Ladas, take them out to the boat to strip them for parts then dump the remains overboard.

I never knew about that!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Last I heard on tyres there was concern about phenols leaching into the water, investigations were started but I haven't heard what the outcome was.

Everything below mean high water to wherever the international boundaries are is Crown Estate, it belongs to the Queen.

Gawd Bless 'er!

I thought the main objection to be overcome would be that the residual fuel & oil was a major hazard, so that it would be necessary to get some scientific support for the idea.

Also there are other nasty substances that have to be decomissioned , particulary Asbestos , which is a very expensive process.

cheers

Tom

Oil is not reguarded as much of a problem now days in that type of situation, they do more damage with the clean up chemicals.

How dangerous would asbestos be degrading under water, they have chucked everything else in when it suits them. The key problem with asbestos is inhaling the dust would have thought that risk was small.

Jordan torpedoed an old ship in the Gulf of Aqabah and within three years it was a great reef. So it served to purposes target practice and reef :D

We dropped a load of old motors in Half Moon Bay, engines and fuel tanks removed, fish moved in overnight :D the place has never looked back.

It could be done here but who would organise it??? So many quangos milling around each one looking to stab the other in the back, media would blow up the smallest issue to get headlines and go searching for some poor s*d they could hang out to dry. What is a simple good answer would be turned into the UKs worst nightmare.

[ 03. October 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Ken Davison South Wales ]

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist