Big Ledger Weights

Jim Roper

I have been meaning to bring this up for some time.

Years ago, there were always some sinkers in the tackle shops that looked like distorted shallow 3-sided pyramids with a swivel connector coming from the point.

I always understood them to be weights that were designed to hug the bottom of a fast flowing river.

With all the big weights that boat anglers have to use in strong currents, I am surprised that they are not available in larger sizes, assuming they worked!

I often thought that it might be possible to cast them be tilting an LBC fletton brick and pouring lead into the frog. You would first have to drill a hole through the brick(from what will be the point of the pyramid) in order to set the connector in place. Perhaps you could just drill deep enough to take a swivel and pack around the swivel with sand(dry) for easy removal after the lead had set.

Then again, perhaps something better has become available since I last went boat fishing!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very under-rated and under used lead the "Pyramid Lead", would like to own a 5oz version myself.

I think some of the England shore team used them in the recent world champs, so someone has a mould or moulds.

[ 21. December 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Harold. ]

Very common pattern in the US.

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/ has 5 cavity ones for pyrimids of 1 - 3 oz as does Memphis Net & Twine.

Posted Image

This place has them with 5 & 6 oz and 8 & 10 oz molds.

[ 21. December 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, the ones I am refering to are completely opposite the the ones you have found/used.

Harold knows the ones I mean. They are a 3-sided pyramid, very shallow and with the point off centre. I am not sure whether the point is towards one corner or towards the centre of one side. The connector comes from the point of the pyramid, not the base as in your posting. This was supposedly to make the fast current force the sinker onto the bed of the river.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Tried Mr Mouldy(John) in Dewsbury yet?? if he doesn't have one I'm pretty sure he will know where to get one. And don't forget he must sell the majority of moulds sold in the UK today!!

I'll dig out his number later as I have to contact him about some swivels etc., myself!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

"Capta" leads are what they were called if memory serves as it should.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Jim - love to see a picture of one.

But if you want something simple that you can make up yourself and that will absolutely hold bottom,

Egg sinker in the weight of your choice - 3-6 oz usually

Posted Image

Run two doubled pieces of fairly stiff wire thru the hole and snug the weight against the place they are doubled over.

Posted Image

Bend the wires into this shape, tie it on, and go for it.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Jim.

Be a man. Try using my 4lb coke can leads!!

Not much good for casting, but guaranteed to hold bottom? Attatch to boom with a lightly wrapped peice of plastic coated wire bag twists.

It will take the bait straight down to 6/700ft, then when the big fish takes the bait? Just give a yank. The plastic tie will let go of the weight and you only have to pull the fish up!!

Like I said. Not much good for casting. But may save some deap sea-fishermen having to drag a big lead up off the oceans floor. Just to check the bait.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!