Hello all. New here. Scottish Kayak/rock fisher

Jaffa

Love is a new toy :D

Never really done much to the Perception yet; jigsawed up a fishbox to fit the tankwell, cabletied a couple of rod holders and thats been about it.I need to fit the rear hatch as the front ones a pain if there any amount of swell but it prettymuch works as it is for what i do.

What are you planning to do with the XT? Does it have hatches fitted? and what are they like for seal and access? Has it got that really low centre hatch the OK's use?

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jaffa,

If what you have with your perception works for you,then stay with it mate :)

You see Yaks with all the toys,and ribbons,but they dont catch anymore fish than us.............

.....DO THEY :rolleyes: .

The plans for the XT...dont laugh now, well I hope to do some fly fishing for the Bass from it, as well as other fishing.

Also although I can sit side saddle on the NAV,

the XT has lower gunnels,so Im hopeing it will be easier on my back.

A few years ago I used to dive,may use the XT for the odd sport dive, look out crabs :D

There are two positions to fit hatches on the XT,

one at the bow,and one in the cockpit to fit bucket hatch.

I may fit the bucket hatch,but will not fit the bow hatch.

Reason being, I wouldnt ever use it.

The Bow hatches on most yaks are a waste of time realy,because you can not accsess them while on the water,especialy if you have centre rod rest mounted, but thats just my oppinion :rolleyes:

I belive simple is best.....thats why I married my darling wife....OUCH ..hello dear :(

As always,hope you and yours are well.

Cheers

Yakity

Hey Yakity, maybe you should keep the good lady well away when you make that first cut into the yak :D

No laughs about the flyfishing from this corner ; I can't really see too much difference between our bass and the stripers the yankee yakfishers go after. XT looks ideal :) .

Never use my bow hatch much during fishing either; I should have bought a "bare bones" yak and fitted hatches once I'd fished a bit and figured out what suited me.... Oh well, you live and learn. Going to fit the rear one soon though as it will be well handy.

My setup works atm but I want to improve it.

Intend fitting a couple of angled flush mount rod holders right behind the seat and a "scotty" type portside, just ahead of the footwell. Once the rear hatch is in I'll be able to use stainless nuts and bolts to secure the holders.

I'd also like to put a few more eyelets along the tankwell but I can't get access underneath there. Have you used S/S self tapping screws for fittings?, if so, how do you find them? Use a sealant as well?

Chris.

BTW check this yak out; looks amazing for fishing and comes in plastic, kevlar or fibreglass! Slight problem is that you need to live in South Africa to get one :(

http://www.seakayak.co.za/kayak_store/gall...ductCode=PY2102

Pictures? Love to see it before and after you rig it to suit.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Jaffa, :)

Sounds like, you will have one very efficeient yak buy the time youve finnished,with it.

Good luck with the fitting out.

As far as the eyelets go,self tappers would be fine as long as not to much load put on them,as you know.

I have rigged a anchor pully system on the Navigator,I used size 8 s/s screws to fit the pulley blocks,and Sikaflex-291 marine sealant to

glue them on.

Had no problems so far....touch wood.

Same as you, I wanted more eyelets on the Yak,so I fitted about 10 in all, useing pot rivets,All I did to seal them was ,once fitted i wiped a bit of Silicone over the head of the rivets,again,no probs.

To be honest I think that the screws would be as good.

Hope im not telling you how to suck eggs,but,

use a tiny drill just to pilot the screw.

That Yak looks a mean ride,but I think Ill stick to my little logs;) :D:D:D .

Cheers Jaffa.

Yakity cool:

Newt, hope Yakity has a better camera than my "box brownie" . Will try and find a non stoneage Scot with a decent camera and get some photos to put up.

Welcome Jim :) , Gloat over the Rugby all you want m8 ! :D:D ; might cheer up my day after the Swiss failed in the football! . On second thoughts...... given that my lot are being thrashed by Wogga Wogga Junior girls team perhaps you should stick to talking fishing :D .

Love to hear about the fishing in NZ as its looks like its amazing down there. What kind of fishing do you do?

Chris.