Hello all. New here. Scottish Kayak/rock fisher

Jaffa

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome all :)

Thanks for the club idea Alan . I do have a kayak club near me but for various reasons im not sure that the kind of kayaks used for fishing (Sit on tops) would be compatible with a traditional kayak club outing. There are safety and speed issues, plus they will no doubt get bored when i want to stop and fish every 200 yards :D . . Ummm, skate from a kayak; think i'll give that a miss - great way of tagging them though ! :D

Hi Paul, like yakity I think these things are really going to take off over here once people get over the initial shock of the idea. It's starting to get serious over on Newts side of the pond and thats still the best place to get an understanding of the sport atm. I got an awful lot of help and advice from US kayakfishing forums and I'll put up a list of links to the ones I found most useful if anyones interested.

The only downside to the US sites is learning their language! Guess you have it the other way Newt Took me ages to realise a Sandworm was basically rag ! Also, they REALLY seem to like a good "exchange of views" that took some getting used too :)

Newt, I've got a Perception Freedom (called a Swing on your side of the pond i think) which i do most of the fishing from, and a couple of Ocean Kayak Frenzys. All are "sit on top" designs. What kind are popular in your part of the world?

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Jaffa,

yes a list of useful links would be great, save me having to sort through all the dross. Must admit I'm not sold on the idea yet, I can anchor the canadian as you can move around inside the canoe and I haven't seen an anchor rig for a yak yet. Is it possible?

Paul

Whatever you do don't try to brew up in one of those things. you know what they say 'you can't have your kayak and heat it'

I'll also get my coat

[ 06. June 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi Jaffa,

Welcome to the madhouse,nice to meet a fellow yak fisherman.

We are down yer in devon,dont think you would like it though,sandy beaches,plenty of normaly unreachable fishing grounds,and of course,a few bass.Its hell, but someone has to do it. :P

I see you ride the Perception swing,nice yak.

What types fishing do you do from the yak??

I ride a cobra navigator, my pal has a ocean caper.We lure fish for the bass.

Look forward to your posts.

Cheers Yakity yak. :)

Hi Yakity, reckon Davys pets would solve Pauls anchor question :) . Paul, anchoring is no problem.I'll stick up a couple of my fav links where there are threads on diy anchoring systems etc. There are loads more links but a lot are from people that fish on mirror calm water and think that keeping cool is the biggest problem

Yakity,Never seen the cobra other than in pictures but was impressed by the Caper when i saw one. Both seem to be popular over the pond though. You must clean up on the bass with the places you can get :)

My fishing is pretty basic Yakity; while i'd love to try lure fishing bass this is cod country. I drift the reefs with a set of feathers, or the modern equivilent, bounce the lead on the seabed and get loads of codling...... I'd like to try some new stuff though. Catch the odd decent pollock once in a while and they give a great fight so would like to know how to target them. Also see a lot of Salmon/sea trout jumping and can't help wondering if American trolling techniques like Tube and worm baited with rag might not work well for them. Going to experiment over this summer....

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa - most of the rigs I see are one-person, sit inside, double-end paddle things they seem to use just to go aimlessly around the lake.

I do remember seeing one man with 2 kids in a sit-on-top one and they were all fishing.

Have to confess I have paid very little attention to them though. And have yet to see anyone on a sea-going version. Wasn't even aware until YY came on the forum that they were getting so popular over here.

I guess these fall into the fairly broad category along with water skiing, fast cars, and fast boats that were fun when I was a good few years younger.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Jaffa,

Im not sure about the pets solveing the anchoring problem,.....however, you wouldnt need to paddle very much, with one of those on the end of your rod.

WHEN, I figure out how to post pictures, Ill show you the areas we fish here.

As for cleaning up on the Bass,...well....went out on Sunday and between us we caught........1 Pollock :o:rolleyes::D .

But as you know, its nice just to be out there.

Pollock do give a good fight, with some quite violent plunges, keeps the heart going :D

When I fish for them,I like to use Scallywags,

bit like a Red Gill,although some of these rubber Shads and the like are well worth a try.

The wieght you use depends on the depth and tide.

I like to fish as light as possible.

Let the end tackle down to the bottom,fairly slowly,so as the end tackle doesnt tangle around the boom.

When you hit bottom, start winding up slowly,counting the turns on the reel as you do,

when you get a take you will know the next time when to expect contact with the fish.

Pollock generaly shoal twenty or so feet from the bottom ,reef,wreck etc. sometimes much higher than that !!

As for the sea trout and salmon,get hold of some Tobys,(a lure made by Abu ) 28grm blue flash. I swear by them and have had lots of success.If the fish are up on the surface you cant go wrong!! Sight fishing is good from a yak, as you know.The near silent approach to the fish is a real bonus.

Well, now Ive talked your ears off... :rolleyes::D

I hope some of this jibberish is of some use.

Cheers

Yakity