Hello all. New here. Scottish Kayak/rock fisher

Jaffa

So Jaffa - are you ready to try a traditional Inuit craft? They certainly took them to sea and in colder conditions than most of us face.

If so, the gortex Tuilik sounds like a better idea than trying to do a traditional one of animal skin.

And I suspect you would probably enjoy yourself more with rod & reel than with a spear. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jaffa,

No problem,didnt think you were being rude,guessed you were busy .

Its great to be able to debate,with another yak fisherman on the pros and cons of yak fishing.

The prowler has got a good write up and spec.

But I still feel it would be too much boat for a novice,a high brid yak costing around £500,could be an expensive mistake.

This is just my oppinion, and observation.I think for a new rider the Prowler is to narrow,the act of turning around in the yak to reach for something behind would be a daunting exercise, let alone reaching forward.

I expect you are the same as us, we always check the Marine forcast before planning a trip.

Haveing said that on a couple of occations it has cut up a bit rough,wind and moderate swell,

Its when the unexpected comes along that a new rider would come unstuck.Can you imageine trying to get back on the prowler in calm waters never mind in a lop.I do feel that the shorter,wider yak is the choice of a novice on the sea.

But,thats just me:D For a experienced rider,its a awsome yak.

We will hasve to agree to diagree on the wind issue:D

You are right,the choice of a yak depends on your fishing technique,enviourment,and needs,but also experience and handling skills must come into it.

A choice of yak made in haste,could put off a new rider for good.

I remember when the Navigator arrived at the house,it was put in the front room in pride of place. I sat in it asking my wife to splash me with water,and sprinkle salt on my brow:) :D

When I took the first ride it was love at first glide.

Im adding a new critter to the stable,next tuesday.Takeing delivery of a Scrambler xt.

Going to rig a live bait set up on it, should be fun.

Ive rambled on again Jaffa, i hope I havnt bored you to death.

Cheers for now.

Yakity

Well thanks very much for all the "jokes" guys - My very first post and you just about manage to say "hello" while getting on with a **** take. Got to respect you 4k posters for that

As the big man said " I feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit"

Call me super sensitive if you want, but my first post??!!

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Huh??? I'm confused as to what has you upset Jaffa.

A couple of mild jokes in here for sure but

- none aimed at a person

- none I can see that class as 'taking the p*ss as I understand the term

- lots of reasonable discussion of kayaks and related things.

If the problem is with comments you consider 'off topic' then you gotta know that thread hijacks happen all the time and that the topic starter really doesn't own the topic.

I've just looked back thru this topic and I'd have to say it looks like a warm welcome to a new poster as I read it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President