Shotting a float

Haven't a Clue

I'm hoping to get out on the bank in the very near future, for my first ever fishing session. I've very kindly been given some equipment (from a member here) to allow me to go feeder fishing, with instructions to get me started.

However, I've now got a Shakespeare float rod, and fancy having a go with this as well. I'll be going to a commercial lake, which i've been advised is about 4ft deep, and would be happy to catch anything at all.

I understand about plumming the depth etc, but where I get confused is with the shotting and different patterns. So I would be grateful of any advice, to enable me to hopefully get off to a successful start.

My intention is to start off with a light set up, say 3 or 4lb line, with a lower strength hooklength. So what float should I start with and what shotting pattern should I use?

Please keep any replies as simple as possible i.e which shot(s) either side of the float, and position of others down the line. Any pics or diagrams would be a great help also.

Many thanks in advance for your advice and co-operation that I'm sure I will get, given the assistance i've received so far.

firstly on a commercial the only float you should really be looking at in my opinion is a waggler!! so called because when they were originally made from peacock quills they used to waggle in the water!!

you can buy what are now called pre loaded wagglers - this means that they cock (almost) with out any shot around the float, i find these good because they eliminate the issue of shot weakening the line and also save time!!

However if you are getting a standard waggler or any float for that matter you will need shot around the float to cock it!! The amount of the shot is usually stated on the side of the float, search for shot conversion charts on here if you want to know the weight value of different shot. I always use one at the back of the waggler (closest coming from the rod) and then the rest of the shot on the side towards the hook, i find this gives a better bite detection than even keels of shot either side.

We now move on to dropper shot!! if you are fishing on the bottom and wishing to get the bait there quick you will put a bulk of lighter shot - say 3-6 no6 dependant on the size of the float about 2/3 down the rig!! if however you wish for the bait to drop slowly (pick up any fish feeding off the bottom, often starts to happens when the session has got going) you will space the shot evenly throughout the length of the rig.

this should also help if i havent already confused you!!! http://www.rod-and-line.co.uk/techniques/waggler.shtml

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

You want a float that attaches at the bottom end only - some variety of waggler, a small straight or insert one. Perhaps something taking around 3BB. I would lock the float in place with a BB either side of it. Tie on your hook and hooklength. Plumb the depth and adjust. Assuming that it's 4 feet deep, I would start off with the float set 4' from the hook. I'd put a #4 shot at 2' from the hook, a #6 1' from the hook and another #6 6" from the hook.

BB-float-BB-<2 feet>-#4-<1 foot>-#6-<6 inches>-#6-<6 inches>-hook

I'd then adjust that pattern to get the float set just right, adjusting the smaller shots up or down a size. You can add small shots around the float without making any difference to the presentation.

In general,

# put most of the shot around the base of the float

# use smaller shots or groups of shots down the line as you get closer the the hook

# have a small shot six or eight inches from the hook

# space the shot out to put the next shot at or below halfway between the previous shot and the hook (i.e. one at half depth, next halfway between that and the hook, next halfway again). The point of this is that the tackle will pivot around the shots when being cast, and this layout will help prevent the lower shots reaching and tangling with the upper shots.

Please keep any replies as simple as possible

....you say you will be fishing a commercial - ring 'em up to check they are not frozen up still!

My advice to a beginner is to fish under your rod tip, using a very small float attached top and bottom (forget waggler floats until you have more experience)

Put a very small shot about 6 or 7 inches from your hook - that's the most important shot - it governs the bite indication.

Put on enough extra shot a foot or so above that bottom shot to leave the float with just a quarter-inch of the tip showing.(buy a circular shot dispenser with a range of shot sizes).

Plumb the depth, set the float so the hook is just off the bottom, put some bait on, swing the gear out and you are in business.

If the important thing is just to catch some fish, (any fish!) use maggots on the hook. About once a minute throw three or four maggots (no more in the winter) at your float - fishing close under the rod tip will mean you can do this accurately.

You get a bite!

Either you connect, or not

If you fail to connect a few times, move that bottom shot an inch or two AWAY from the hook

If you don't seem to get bites, but when you decide to rebait, the maggots are crushed or missing, then move that bottom shot an inch or two TOWARDS the hook.

If you get a deep hooked fish, again move that bottom shot TOWARDS the hook

Stacks of fish on commercials can be caught a rod length out, under the rod tip, provided you throw those maggots in little and often.

Once you have had a few bags this way you may want to get more adventurous, but the above is as simple as it can get.

I take it you are equipped with landing net, unhooking mat, disgorgers and artery forceps.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

My advice to a beginner is to fish under your rod tip, using a very small float attached top and bottom (forget waggler floats until you have more experience)

What do you class as a small float?

I take it you are equipped with landing net, unhooking mat, disgorgers and artery forceps.

I'll have these items by the time I venture out

I myself would keep it nice and simple, A two or three bb peacock quil would be my choice or a small dart type float Attached with rubbers for quick depth adjustment.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Any small float! If you buy one at a shop you will find they are obsessed by wagglers, but insist on a "top and bottom" attached float. The thinner the better.

Ask for one that will carry two BB shot or less. (that's two shot about the size of a black peppercorn grain)

Or you can make one from a bird quill of about 4" long with the fibres stripped off, and use two small slices cut off a length of cycle valve rubber to attach it.

...or a thin twig or reed stem, The only shop-bought floats I have are those I have found (but rarely use)

If you buy one of those round shot dispensers with a range of sizes, you will become familiar with the numbering - but at first, all you need is the small bottom shot (how small? no bigger than a white peppercorn), and enough shot above that to load the float down so that only a quarter-inch is showing. A bit of trial and error will soon show you how many /how big the extra shot needed - without worrying about the nomenclature at this stage.

If you have too much float sticking up the fish will feel resistance to the bite and may let go.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Some sound advice & id pretty much go along with most of it however id dispense with the top & bottom attached float as i think a beginner would spend a lot of time with the line wrapped round the top of the float personally id advise a short drennan peacock fixed bottom end only just cast out slightly dip the rod tip in the water reel the float into position & away you go cant really go wrong :)

Good luck

The more i practice the luckier i get :)