Tough distance reels

A Norfolk Boy

I like to fish some heavy seas and am looking for a reel that I can load with .45mm line whilst still fishing at distance. I have an abu mag and a 525 mag. I want something a bit beefier than the penn and also with a bit more capacity.

I see my options as:

Abu 7500CT. My abu is a noticably better caster than my penn and suspect the 7500 will cast very well.

Penn 535 GS. As the mag version does not benefit from featutes as per the 525 mag/GS divide, I don't think it's worth the extra money. Obviously tough with good capacity but how does it cast?

Daiwa SLX30SHV. I'd go for this over the standard slosh as it is a better caster, but capacity is quoted as 270m of 20lb (is that .40 or .45 mm ?) Also, the slosh30 spool is said to be difficult to control with the thumb when casting, is this the same on the X version?

Any experience of these reels sought......

Abu 7500 CT will cast 100 - 120 yards with heavy line (used with Greys Apollo), I load it with 30lb line for rock fishing for cod. It is an excellent reel and I would reccommend it. It is easy to cast once it is tuned up, it has integral brakes.

I have no experience of the Penn or the Diawa mentioned.

Rockling.

I've got a 535mag which I use with 35lb line. It casts great, sounds a bit rough at times, but tough as hell. The 6:1 ratio makes a big difference over rough ground as you can crank it back so much faster, that alone makes it much better than the GS. And I do use the mags as the wind changes and my baits cahnge size. Well worth it in my opinion.

I've also got a 7000C, it casts much sweeter and quieter but doesn't get any further. Slower retreive as well, but just 'nice' to use.

I've got an SLX40SHV too. Wonderfully smooth and amazingly castable for such a big reel, but I do find myself resorting to cranking down on spool endplay when the wind gets in my face with a big bait. Best drag of them all and the one I'd most trust with a big conger or skate:)

The best casting rough ground reel I have is my old Penn980mag, nearly 20 yrs old, but its a slower retrieve and the sideplates are a bit vulnerable. I don't know why it casts better than the 535mag, as it runs on bushes, but it does.

The 7500ct is my favourite out of the trio Daiwa SLosh30, Penn535GS.

The Penn is built like a tank and is great for winching fish through kelp using 40lb line. There is nothing wrong with the Daiwa, but for me I like the ABU, even though as Spanner points out the retrieve is slower than the other two. Because its metal the side plates can easily scratch on the rocks and can get tatty quite quickly if you don't look after it.

I know a few that have the 535mag - but I always think the mag adjustment knob could easily be damaged on the rocks.

i use a 535mag and its bomb proof. cast pretty well but any reel loaded with heavy line will under perform compared to a small reel with small diameter mono.

casting distance is down to the hands on the rod. ive seen a guy cast a 450 diawa further than some guys cast a clipped rig on a penn 525mag and he was casting a pound of bait.

Just a thought, haveing a larger reel, with heavier line, might need a rod that has a bit of backbone to it. One that will cope with a heavier wieght to take the line away, especialy in head winds.

To get the best from the reel, an under powered rod may be a disadvantage, no matter what reel.

For what its worth.

Yakity - Yak:

Just a thought, haveing a larger reel, with heavier line, might need a rod that has a bit of backbone to it. One that will cope with a heavier wieght to take the line away, especialy in head winds.

To get the best from the reel, an under powered rod may be a disadvantage, no matter what reel.

For what its worth.

He's dead right the power for the cast comes from the rod releasing stored energy. make sure you dont overload your rod, if you do, at best your casting will get get worse. At worst your rod could be damaged.

As for the reel I dont own but have casted fairly regulary with the SL30SH and found it handles really well with 30-35lb mono straight through we use such heavy line cos the ground is so rough round here. I dont think you'd go far wrong with one.

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

ive got a 7500ct ,slosh30,20 and 30SHV and all are top reels but i ve got to say the 30SHV is the best caster of the wider spools,same capacity as the others.it seems to run smoother.i prefer the others for winching power but thats just the difference in handles.

i keep it loaded with 25lb for when a bit more distance is required.

Just got to say, Ive currently got a 7500c3 ct on ebay if anyone is interested, selling as I dont use it as Ive got two of them, and am doing more boat fishing these days anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Cheers, and sorry for the selfish plug! I agree that it is a great reel to use and casts so smoothly. Dont get any problems with a bulky gear casing getting in the way, like the slosh reels.