Shelter advice from those in the know please

Angly

Righto, with the upcoming AN Predator Fish-In, and Wingham (if I'm not one of the chosen few this year, then perhaps next year, or even the year after!) I've come to the conclusion my life just wouldn't be complete without a shelter of some sort. Let me list my requirements:

Must be suitable for fenland winters (so I'm thinking double skinned a must)

Easy egress (I'm 6ft)

1 man

Man portable (read: unfit man portable already weighed down)

Easy erect and strike

I don't need it to be 5-star accommodation, I shall only be sleeping in it because I'm falling asleep (if that made sense), and will either snooze in my chair or probably curl up on the floor (not owning, and not wishing to own a bedchair).

Considering above point integral or well attached groundsheet

No camo patterns except 'I bought this ex mil stuff because it's the dogs and very cheap' camo.

Cheap

Not expensive

Budget

I've got a Shakespeare Cypry Dome in mind, and will probably go visit my not very local at all dealer at the weekend for a look, meantime anyone have any words of guidance for me?

Afterthought: I have already have a brolly for day use  

Edited by Angly

Geoff

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more than you probably want to pay but the fox easy dome has been a good shelter for me

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/ron-thomp...85-pid4474.html

Am well pleased with mine. Ideal for anglers, not so hot with campers though!

Blimey, Peter, they'll make a sea angler out of you yet! :D

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ch-shelter.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/ron-thomp...85-pid4474.html

Am well pleased with mine. Ideal for anglers, not so hot with campers though!

As both the AN Pred Fish-In and Wingham are three day events, and my staying awake (and being useful) limit is about 36 hours, that puts me firmly in the campers camp (pun unintended) at least some of the time, which unfortunately discounts that shelter. Nice for shorter sessions though.

Geoff

Blimey, Peter, they'll make a sea angler out of you yet! :D

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Tackle-And-Bai...ch-shelter.html

I still do a bit! Gone are the days of thirty plus cod, or a hundred plus whiting and dabs in half a tide though.

I use a cypry dome - cheap, light, packs away small, and hasn't yet let me down after about 5 years' use. They take longer than 'proper' bivvies to erect and dismantle, but that doesn't bother me. Plenty of room in the 1-man version (I'm also 6ft).

BTW it will be cold sleeping on the floor. If you don't want a bedchair, I'd suggest a roll of that foam campers use. Also, I don't think I've ever stayed awake for 36 hours in my life - I reckon my limit is about 8 :lol: I don't like my long session fishing to feel like an endurance test. In fact, this time of year I even take a hot water bottle :D (And it's pink B) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I use a cypry dome - cheap, light, packs away small, and hasn't yet let me down after about 5 years' use. They take longer than 'proper' bivvies to erect and dismantle, but that doesn't bother me. Plenty of room in the 1-man version (I'm also 6ft).

BTW it will be cold sleeping on the floor. If you don't want a bedchair, I'd suggest a roll of that foam campers use. Also, I don't think I've ever stayed awake for 36 hours in my life - I reckon my limit is about 8 :lol: I don't like my long session fishing to feel like an endurance test. In fact, this time of year I even take a hot water bottle :D (And it's pink B) )

Yes I saw from my search that you had one Anderoo, and was looking forward to your thoughts. We camp at least once a year (although admittedly in summer) and sleep on the floor, on foam mats, so if need be I can double the mats up for winter. I stayed awake for 36 hours once as a lad when I was doing 12 hour shifts, had to cover for the next shift guy who didn't turn up, then work my shift again. I didn't want to sound like a lightweight! I have afternoon naps now! :lol: It's not that I don't WANT a bedchair, I can't justify yet MORE expense! :rolleyes:

5 years use eh, and how often do you use it? Big footprint that I've heard about a problem for you? How long to erect, how long to put away, working at relaxed pace in bad weather? Sorry for all the questions. :unsure:

Geoff