This weekend

Houseplant

I look with envy, not so much at the fish although they are very nice, especially those good Perch, but at the weather and conditions shown in the pictures. I haven't seen water that flat since the lakes froze over early in the month, nor been able to venture afloat without waterproofs and hats.

001.jpg

This was our last trip out, my view from under the cuddy of my son 'driving'.

PS take no notice of the date shown, I just havn't updated my camera.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neil i brought my run of blanks to an end with this tiny little fella but very welcome he was Greenjack003.jpg Think that i have been chasing the wrong spieces in the wrong weather/river conditions ie chub may have been a better bet,Just keep at it as the next trip may give you a the fish you are after,I was begining to think that i wouldnt catch a pike again all season.

Still at least my boat partner blanked so i had ther bragging rights if thats what you could call them,thats a monster Perch Mr Plumb :clap: bet you went home a happy bunny steve.

PS thats my blood not the Pikes

Nice one steve, I would have been very happy to catch a nice little pike like that just to end the blankage!

Definately feel it was more of a coincidence that the pit level was up and the sport was dead....didn't see a single fish topping when usually it's commonplace.

I think it is a case now of fishing for the right species at the right time....next weekend if the river is up and it's warm enough I'm going to have to have a crack at the barbel again.

Hate to say it but really coming to the conclusion that the pike stocks where I am are so thing on the groung for some reason...experienced the fishing becoming increasingly difficult over the last few years :schmoll:

Absolutely beautiful fish!

I'll second that, absolute belters!

I think it is a case now of fishing for the right species at the right time....

That just about sums up my fishing Neil, especially at this time of year. Pit perch were definitely not the species to be after on Saturday, if I wasn't over for a work party I'd have been chubbing!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well - I went to my local water today and set up as usual. The day started well with three Stripies of just under 2lb, then a winter Carp of 7lb (which didn't fight at all!!) and a lovely Rudd of about a pound and a half................And then the bank gave way and I fell in!!!!!!!!!

End of day!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I've yet to experience pike dissapearing (apart from between October and February when they always seem to disappear) but I'm sure it will happen.

MC

I'm glad to hear that it's not just us then, I was getting worried over not being able to find 'em in winter.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Things appear to change over years with pike and perch, at least they seem to on the river I fish. There are some sort of cycles going on, very obvious with perch but possibly less so with pike.

This might be down the way I fish but I don't think so. I don't think my method of fishing has changed much. On the two mile stretch of river I fish very frequently I caught lots of jacks between 2 & 5lbs three years ago and only the occasional larger one. The year after the vast majority of the pike I caught were between 4 & 8lbs. Last year, although I caught quite a lot less, they were mostly beween 7 & 14lb. I'm quite interested to see what this year will bring. I've yet to experience pike dissapearing (apart from between October and February when they always seem to disappear) but I'm sure it will happen.

MC

lol, that's the time of year they seem to dissapear here too.....so much for 'predator season'!

lots and lots of rain on the way so will be leaving the rods alone this weekend, don't see the point in getting wet & cold and catching B-all

Roll on spring and evening lure/fly fishing :D

lol, that's the time of year they seem to dissapear here too.....so much for 'predator season'!

lots and lots of rain on the way so will be leaving the rods alone this weekend, don't see the point in getting wet & cold and catching B-all

Roll on spring and evening lure/fly fishing :D

I've got to agree. Rivers are full to bursting and we're about to have 2 days of rain here.

This has been my worst winter since I got back into fishing a few years ago. I've always been rubbish at winter fishing but this year not only have I been catching b-all but I've got frozen (now soaking) too!

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I've always been rubbish at winter fishing

Perhaps it's not you, why don't you blame the conditions and venues instead like I do ? ;)

I rememeber catching good bags in savagely cold German winters, and not just Pike, but Roach and even some Bream, managed Yorkshire winter Pike years ago, but have never been able to crack the local waters which I have fished since childhood.

That said, I must be a glutton for punishment, because I fancy a go on friday....now just got to work out the tactics! :)

Edited by Emma two

I set this weekend for a bit of fishing!! wont be going to my clubs pools due to lack of seat box and I dare not take on my clubs sections of the severn and the teme when the water is up!! I struggle with my limited river fishing knowledge when conditions are good!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....