Transport

Jeffwill

Had a Prodrive Impreza for 3 years and it was awesome but very scary at the same time and the fuel economy made you wince a bit to,down to 17mpg if you caned it

Tell me about it.

My highly practical (not) fishing wagon:

clean1.jpg

My fuel calculator:

iphone_camera_roll001.png

I say it's not practical, but it was actually the only sports car I could find that I could get my fishing gear into. 350Z, Elise, S2000 all ruled out on those grounds (though maybe if I stuck to fly fishing... :g: )

Next time, instead of trying to do both with one car, I think I might go for a cheap Subaru estate or a big, comfy, well depreciated German estate car with a big diesel engine and an autobox - A6/5-series/E-class, something like that - and an Elise. You can get an awful lot of Kraut barge for not much money, and while they aren't over-engineered like they used to be, they're still solid and well made.

Alternatively, a rally rep - bloke next door has an Evo X, which is very nice. Shame the new Scooby has had such a thrashing with the ugly stick. :headhurt:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tell me about it.

My highly practical (not) fishing wagon:

clean1.jpg

My fuel calculator:

iphone_camera_roll001.png

I say it's not practical, but it was actually the only sports car I could find that I could get my fishing gear into. 350Z, Elise, S2000 all ruled out on those grounds (though maybe if I stuck to fly fishing... :g: )

Next time, instead of trying to do both with one car, I think I might go for a cheap Subaru estate or a big, comfy, well depreciated German estate car with a big diesel engine and an autobox - A6/5-series/E-class, something like that - and an Elise. You can get an awful lot of Kraut barge for not much money, and while they aren't over-engineered like they used to be, they're still solid and well made.

Alternatively, a rally rep - bloke next door has an Evo X, which is very nice. Shame the new Scooby has had such a thrashing with the ugly stick. :headhurt:

I run a beat up old ford mondeo estate 1.8td on a T plate which is a right slug but having trashed it whilst using it as a work vehicle its a great fishing wagon,Loads of space carrys my boat and all the gear easily plus when a M3/Sporty Saab estate and another new mainstream motor were done in a local waters car park mine was left untouched .

Have often left it in places that i wouldnt dare leave the scooby and its never been touched,washing it once a year seems to help on this score to :lol: .

Good on fuel and never let me down once in nearly eight years now,Cheap to service there is a lot to be said for running an old motor .

Been up to the top of scotland in it on holiday/fishing a couple of times no trouble,Made the mistake of doing the journey in the scooby once it was very very painfull on the wallet :wallbash: ,Nice mazda by the way Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I run a beat up old ford mondeo estate 1.8td on a T plate which is a right slug but having trashed it whilst using it as a work vehicle its a great fishing wagon,Loads of space carrys my boat and all the gear easily plus when a M3/Sporty Saab estate and another new mainstream motor were done in a local waters car park mine was left untouched .

Have often left it in places that i wouldnt dare leave the scooby and its never been touched,washing it once a year seems to help on this score to :lol: .

Good on fuel and never let me down once in nearly eight years now,Cheap to service there is a lot to be said for running an old motor .

Been up to the top of scotland in it on holiday/fishing a couple of times no trouble,Made the mistake of doing the journey in the scooby once it was very very painfull on the wallet :wallbash: ,Nice mazda by the way Steve.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking the same thing for next time. I don't really fish anywhere it's likely to get broken into, but using it for fishing doesn't do the interior any good and it's a bit low for rutted farm tracks. Plus, if I replace it with two cars, one of them very sensible, the other can be very silly. Just a shame we haven't got a garage, or I'd be thinking of a Caterham. :D

Yes, that's why I'm thinking the same thing for next time. I don't really fish anywhere it's likely to get broken into, but using it for fishing doesn't do the interior any good and it's a bit low for rutted farm tracks. Plus, if I replace it with two cars, one of them very sensible, the other can be very silly. Just a shame we haven't got a garage, or I'd be thinking of a Caterham. :D

Worked on a refurb a while ago and the Plumber had one of those stupidly quick ones ,is it a caterham 500 or something like that mentaly quick and you swallow a lot of flys :D well you do when you scream as much as me :D .

When the estate finally dies i will probably get an x trail as you can pick up a reasonable one for not silly money and a mate has one and it averages about 40mpg for him[diesel] which i thought was pretty good plus 4x4 capability .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I used to run a VW t4 camper as my everyday vehicle -bought it from new and it's (still) my pride and joy.Couple of summers back,some low life scum decided to run a key down the whole of one side whilst i was out fishing in my boat,shame cos it ruined a brilliant fishing session with the wife catching her p.b mullet.Because of this i decided to buy a beaten up old Citroen c15 diesel van to use as a knockabout vehicle.It cost all of £200 and with a bit of fettling has proven to be ultra cheap to run and boringly reliable.I've fitted a hidden plywood shelf in the roof where rods can be stored,welded on a front tow-bar to shunt the boat about,and even fitted some rollers on the roof bars which are strong enough to take the boat trailer.I never worry about where i park it,or if it gets filthy dirty with muddy winter piking gear-it's also more than capable of handling a moderate off road track due to it's high ground clearance.It's proven to be the perfect fishing wagon-though i think i'd struggle to sleep in the back as i'm 6'4".The camper now only gets used for high days and holidays and will probably outlast me!post-11153-1233781749_thumb.jpgpost-11153-1233781938_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff smith

With a name like that shouldn't you be using a BSA scrambler? :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

With a name like that shouldn't you be using a BSA scrambler? :D

........at Canada Heights racing against Goss et all? You're giving your age away Worms.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

........at Canada Heights racing against Goss et all? You're giving your age away Worms.

BSA thought that they made airguns :D:D Heard of the Airsporter,Lightning,Meteor but not a scrambler ;) Steve.

BSA thought that they made airguns :D:D Heard of the Airsporter,Lightning,Meteor but not a scrambler ;) Steve.

Some said that the BSA Starfire was a grenade looking for a war! :D

Mine was, explosively quick then...just explosive!

(B44 Victor Roadster was an absolute joy though, regret selling that one)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I just flogged my old green Range Rover fishing wagon to some pikies (ooops sorry!) for a ton the other day! MOT failure on welding so would have been an ideal fishing wagon for someone with welding gear! Had an LPG conversion so while still not truely economical it was affordable to run.

It was kind of better than my newer diesel one as the odd scratch here and there and the likes didnt matter so much! And it was green!

Like Land Rover say "The best four by four by far"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!