There'll be another one along in a minute...

DavyR

Well, I just contacted the ASA and sent them this:

The Christian Party is currently running advertisements on 50 London buses claiming: "There definitely is a God: so join the Christian Party and enjoy your life."

I take issue with the statement "There definitely is a God". This statement implies evidence or proof of the existence of the Christian god but to the very best of my knowledge, no such evidence exists.

I'm sure that The Christian Party would attempt to prove the existence of their god using scripture and or metaphysical arguments but I reject these and ask for hard empirical evidence. If they are able to provide such evidence then I think they should share it with the world but if they can’t (and I know they can't) they should withdraw this unsubstantiated statement.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect any serious atheist to take issue with a "God is dead" statement too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

T'was only a joke Newt, but I doubt that many atheists would take issue with the "God is dead" statement because for a great many people, god the concept is very much dead.

If I'd intended it as a serious poster proposition, I would however have expected atheists and free thinkers to take issue with the "Worship science" bit. Science isn't a fixed dogma to be worshiped or revered; it's just a framework for testing ideas.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I had in mind that stating God was dead would be an admission that he had existed at some point which would be a very un-atheistic thing to believe.

As I said on another topic, I'm agnostic. I have no certainty about the matter either way. I tend to lean toward Hugh's "imaginary friend" sig line though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'd expect any serious atheist to take issue with a "God is dead" statement too.
I certainly would. It implies that at some time or other God used to be alive.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote