catch and release fisheries?

stavey

Yes, year round. There's a single pool of about 2 to 2.5 acres with one island. Provided you can get a decent line out most of the water is within range. Worth noting it's single fly only and no lures allowed.

Most of the fish I've taken here have been fish I've seen feeding on or near the surface on static or very slowly fished nymphs.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey adz i will definitely give it a go, its just a shame none of the east sussex fisheries dont try catch and release, a bit set in their ways i think or they feel they get more money that way? wish i owned a stream fed lake it would be different.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Careful, you are in their sights.

http://www.animalprotectioninstitute.org/1206.htm

[ 04. February 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• 3 months later...

God, I hate those jokers. Someone has actually sat down and spent hours writing that. I actually don't really care - I like the taste of trout, but don't always want a freezer full! Therefore, it's nice to be able to catch a couple for the pan, and return any others. I take upmost care - my catch and release fish generally never leave the water or net, and I never touch them to unhook... What do you all think - I guess I preaching to the converted!

Dan

I agree, but the fact is it was a well written and argued piece that would easily appeal to those who don't know any better.

I agree with your attitude to catch and release, with the fish not leaving the water, but is that what we see on our TV fishing shows? The fish are carfully laid on unhooking mats, and then when it flaps the "angler" throws himself across the fish, pinning it to the mat with his chest and lays on it until it stops moving. Then he wipres it all over 2 or 3 times with his hands so that it looks good on the photo. When he picks it up for the photo it flaps again so he holds it tightly against his chest. He then carries it back to the water but can't resist another 5 minutes of "posing" At this point my wife, daughter and myself (who all fish) are shouting "put the bloody thing back, for Gods sake!" If you Austarlian, apparantly you have to see how far from the boat you can throw the fish to return it. I have seen all of the TV pundits d similar things, and remember, this is the "public" face of fishing.

Imagine reading that article and then watching a fishing program

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

chuby:

chuby:

You have a very valid point. I'm in total agreement. he last thing you want to see is Rex Hunt kissing a fish.

yuk.

The bloke is a moron

Yet he is credited with instilling the notion of c & r to the Australians. He was seen as a liberal to many of my Aussie friends, which says a lot about some of their angling ethics.

Chevin my well not agree, and he has far more knowledge of Australian fishing than I do. Mine is based upon talking to Australians friends - Chevin has been there and done it.

Nonetheless, for my sins I have heard Sexy Rexy say 'it's fine to take the odd one for the plate, but we have to preserve our heritage, so if you aren't going to cook them, put them back'. Nothing moronic in that.

[ 13. May 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Alan, I have just done a google search for Eyebrook reservoir.

It is fly and trout only so if Abi and Robin can stay will this cause a problem? I will bring 2 rods and reels and David has loads of gear OR evidently Rutland water is only a couple of miles away.

As for Rex Hunt, I have been watching his shows and apart from the one with the Seal taking gear and fish I am starting to change my tune. He has introduced some young blood onto the scene and they are TEACHING people how to use the clutch/rod/braid etc. I am quite impressed.

I have kissed a few fish in my time or at least thats what they looked like and tasted of next morning :D:D

No match for our Henry though

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/