Where do you buy your flies?

snotty

Where do you buy your flies? online or tackle shop, by the dozen on ebay for a couple of quid, or picked by hand at 80p each.

Being relatively new to this game up to now I have begged & borrowed from friends and bought from Selectafly Deeside N.Wales.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I think the simple truth Snotty is that most folks grab a handful of flies at each fishery they go to as recommended by the local guy and in this way we build up a huge collection of flies we never use. I think I could catch all the reservoir trout I ever need on a couple of boobys, nobblers, nymphs and buzzers. Different story for the REAL fly fishermen of course, who fish the southern chalk streams on dry flies.

Snotty, the fact is that flies catch more fishermen than fish

I buy more than I need off Ebay, the quality is good enough for me and the trout don't seem to know the difference.

The flies that I use most a simple buzzers that I tie myself so like every other fly fisher out there I've got boxes of unused flies and about 3 patterns that I use all the time.

If I had to catch trout to feed my family I could get by with:

Skinny black buzzer with silver rib

Shipmans buzzer in orange and black

Goldhead marabou Damsel

Have fun starting your fly collection :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hehe if you think you end up with more than you need buying them, you should try tying your own! I must have hundreds of PTN's and GHRE nymphs, enough for the next few seasons at least!

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Not much of an "affliction" Jim.

BTW I was over your way today but couldn't phone you because I couldn't find the e.mail with your number. The Pike fishing went well last weekend and I am going again this Saturday, bigger Loch with maybe bigger fish this time :P

I was thinking of going to Kingennie the following Saturday, how is the specimen pool fishing?

E.mail me your number again and this time I'll put it in the book

Cheers

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Having watched a few artists fly tying I have concluded that my patient wife would never put up with hares masks, plumes and glitzy tinsel all over the place, and I barely get time to do anything around here now.

Thanks for the feedback I will no doubt succumb to flies via ebay at some point in time, but fly tying... no.

mmm... I seem to remember I said that about whip fishing, piking, and fluff chucking.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

You wont go far wrong by contacting paulseph1@aol.com, I have had 130 from him so far, I know nothing about fly tying but my Brother in law does and he is very impressed with the quality and price. He ties his own so should know a bit about the topic.

If you do order from Paul make sure you ask for some of the "special wovens", Marian and David were so impressed with them that they won't use them so I have to take some more over with me :(

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/