Wire traces for pike

Newt

We always seem to have a fairish number of new or soon-to-be pike anglers that I thought some discussion of the all important wire trace might be interesting.

How do you decide what breaking strength to use given that there is such a trade-off between strength and size/stiffness. I've read bits on other forums that made it seem 60lb or 80lb was pretty standard but that seems like massive overkill unless I'm missing something.

How about the wire itself; single strand, 7 strand (1x7), 19 strand (1x19), 49 strand (7x7)?

Lure fishing for perch when there are pike known to be in the water looks like it would complicate matters even more. Pike don't much seem to notice the wire but perch do so the smaller and more flexible, the better but it still needs to handle an occasional take from a pike. 13lb 49 strand is as limp as some mono of the same strength but maybe a little pricey and maybe not up to the job of anything larger than a jack.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 30lb Fox Carboflex for all my pike fishing. TBH it was the only wire I have found that can withstand fly casting and last a few fish.

Never tried 49 strand and bet there are some really nice traces out there, just stuck to what I found has worked

Edited by Neil G

I use 30lb Fox Carboflex for all my pike fishing. TBH it was the only wire I have found that can withstand fly casting and last a few fish.

Never tried 49 strand and bet there are some really nice traces out there, just stuck to what I found has worked

I'm the same, i've just stuck to what has always worked for me. Drennan 7 strand in 28lb. I've never had a trace fail so i have utmost confidence in the stuff.

I know it kinks after every fish caught, but i replace traces after every fish anyway so that's not really an issue for me. I once gave a fox wire a go, i forget it's name, but it was marketed as being so fine and flexible you could knot it. I didn't get on well with the stuff so went back to good old Drennan confidence.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I'm the same, i've just stuck to what has always worked for me. Drennan 7 strand in 28lb. I've never had a trace fail so i have utmost confidence in the stuff.

I know it kinks after every fish caught, but i replace traces after every fish anyway so that's not really an issue for me. I once gave a fox wire a go, i forget it's name, but it was marketed as being so fine and flexible you could knot it. I didn't get on well with the stuff so went back to good old Drennan confidence.

Paul.

Me too, either 24lb or 28lb Drennan 7 strand, crimped. I've no reason to change, and like Paul I can put up with the kinks. For Zander I use 15lb soft drennan 7-strand, and for perch I only ever use worms as bait so don't use a trace.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Me too, either 24lb or 28lb Drennan 7 strand, crimped. I've no reason to change, and like Paul I can put up with the kinks. For Zander I use 15lb soft drennan 7-strand, and for perch I only ever use worms as bait so don't use a trace.

Just got some of the Eddie Turner 49 strand pike wire and its great stuff Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I normally use Drennan green 7 strand 24-28lb but I've been trying Fox Carboflex, and as mentioned before a 24lb 49 strand (mainly for perch). I've also got the plain uncoated Drennan wire but I don't like it much and I've since found some 50lb wire (can't recall the name) for lighter lure fishing. I've also got some old Malin wire needing used up but apart from the uncoated Drennan stuff I've never had much bother with any wire I've used. I guess it's a case that you use whatever makes you comfortable and ties easiest for you yourself.

......Regards......Andy...... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Depends a lot on what your actually doing I suppose.

For jerk baiting then the 80lb + solid wire is definately the best option. Simply down to the way you work the lures and their high weight.

For standard lure fishing I use a normal wire.

For hook traces for bait fishing for pike I like 20lb Marlin Steel or ET's 49 strand

Up traces I use that crappy (for hook traces!) Whychwood stuff! Its stifness is usefull here.

Zeds I stick to the last of my 15lb Marlin Steel.

Perch I dont use it.

Eels I use 49 trand Tiger wire.

Ive tried lots and most are perfectly ok its just a matter of preference to how I make traces really that determines my choice.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I currently use 49 strand wire in either 15, 25 or 40lb b.s. The only use I might have for heavier wire is in conjunction with a heavy reel line when I'm fishing big hooks for pike in snaggy waters. This would allow the hooks to straighten before the wire or line broke, thus ensuring that lures (and more importantly baits as these can be a death trap) didn't get snagged.

For perch on waters where pike are present I use wire only when using lures with treble hooks. If using a lure with one single hook, or when bait fishing for perch (when I never use trebles), I dispense with the wire. Wire traces do put off perch, especially the specimens, and this is particularly pronounced with small lures such as jigs and when bait fishing. This is so even with 15lb 49 strand wire as Leon and I found at Wingham years ago. Despite these perch not being pressured at all, they repeatedly refused jigs attached to such a wire trace, but took the same jigs without wire. Indeed, I believe that wire traces are the main reason that pike anglers using freshwater live or deadbaits so seldom catch perch.

I've found that pike very quickly get rid of a single hook. For instance, I once hooked the same pike 3 times in an afternoon (it was easily recognisable by a growth under its chin). I landed it on the third attempt but there was no sign of the other hooks. For those who say we should always use wire when pike are present I'd ask do you do so every time you use worm as a bait for other species? After all worms are one of the best pike baits going - indeed the pike with the growth took a worm intended for perch.

BTW, I have absolutely no use for 7 strand wire in any breaking strain whatsoever.

I suspect the main reason it's still bought is that it's cheaper per yard. However 49 strand wire lasts many times longer and actually works out less expensive in the long run.

For instance I usually have to change my 40lb lure traces just once per season! Snap tackles also last a lot longer, as do uptraces. This is because 49 strand wire is so kink-resistant. Of course kinks reduce the strength of any wire, and a broken wire can mean a dead pike. So a very good reason going for a wire that's as kink-resistant as possible.

Occasionally I've heard that 49 strand wire is actually too supple, especially for livebaiting. The answer is to use a heavier breaking strain such as 40lbs.

Be aware though that not all 49 strand wires are the same, most being made for industry. This was something that I found when getting samples from all over the world when I was in the tackle trade. The best I marketed as Wonder Wire. After I retired, my successor at Caliber switched to a different brand that was also very good. Caliber has since changed hands again and you can buy Wonder Wire from http://calibertackle.blogspot.com/. BTW, I have no connection with the new owner and don't even know him.

Edit note: I no longer do any jerkbaiting. However I would use a heavy breaking strain then, but in a single strand wire.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

28lb seven strand and above is the easiest way to think (if it dosnt say its strand count its more than likely to be seven strands as the 19-49 ones cost more)

take your pick of the brands drennan fox middy, tend to be the easiest to get hold off in most shops

The 24lb 49 strand I buy from 'Anglers' Rendezvous' in Glasgow is what I use for perch, where pike are present. It's very thin, brown, discreet, supple, easily knotable and virtually impossible to kink. It's sold by the metre and it is slightly more expensive than the usual wires but because of it durability, it makes up for that because of it's durability alone. Anglers' Rendezvous has just moved premises but I do have their new number etc. I've compared this stuff to similar wires like Calibre and Toothy Critter Z-Thread and the Anglers Rendezvous stuff is superior to them all for the reasons given above. I seriously recommend it for the predator angler, be it for perch or twitchy pike.

24lb 49 strand

Anglers' Rendezvous,

632 Shettleston Road,

Glasgow,

G32 7DZ,

Tel: 0141-778-6666

Fax: 0141-552-7300

.....Regards.....Andy..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...