Syndicates are they a good or bad thing

Tony 1

Syndicates are they a good or bad thing, I have in the past been a member of one, the thing which I thought was a shame was it was a carp/pike syndicate but their were also a good head of cracking Roach and Rudd and Perch which you could not really fish for, people on the syndicate would complain to the owner if you turned up with a waggler rod to fish for them, the amount of time I spent trying to convince people I was fishing for carp with my float fished worm and no12 hook I enjoyed my genuine Carp/Pike fishing at the lake but I just could not see the point in stoping members from pursuing other species, the word for word response was "we don't want Noddy's sneaking in by the back door" I left after nine years I enjoyed my time as a member but it was a real eye opener.

So I ask the question are they a good or bad thing, whats your view?.

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what their problem with another syndicate member using quite legitimate methods is. The syndicate that I am a member of has several members that pay the same price as every one else, (except for 2 elderly gentlemen who only pay the ordinary season ticket fee, but are permitted to fish the syndicate lakes), fish for roach, tench, pike etc using float tactics, spinners etc which none of we sydicate members have any problem with.

The lakes are predominantly carp lakes, but hold a lovely head of all course fish, with bream to over 12lbs not unknown. Perhaps the syndicate that I'm on is the exception rather than the rule, but I would say 95% of the members don't have a problem with members using methods other than the normal carp fishing methods. I my-self on occasion use the float for the carp or even have a nice change and fish for the other species.

Seems like a bit of "this is the way to fish for carp" brigade thats getting at you to me.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Interesting that. Fortunately, I have not encountered that attitude. I belong to a syndicate that consists mainly of carp anglers, but I am in it for the perch and roach fishing.

Nobody has complained about what I fish for. Lots of bivvies the first couple of weeks of the season, which lessens as autumn and winter set in (the river close season applies, as the lakes are linked by streams), but the only carp I have seen caught there are those that muscle in on my "wag and mag" swim and interrupt my roach fishing! You might think that would upset the bivvy boys, but it doesn't seem to.

I also fish the connecting streams for chub and trout, and am in the minority (of one) there too.

In your case, Tony, I would have thought a syndicate would welcome someone who pays his whack but does not put pressure on the carp swims

[ 27. January 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We also have rivers running through the complex the river Soar to be exact, also the river Wreak.

If only other sydicates were run in this manner or members of syndicates were more tolerant of the other disiplines of our chosen hobby, then it would be a much better attitude in my view.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Dear Tony,

Coincidentally, I have recently purchased land alongside the River Trent (agricultural land) for the sole intent of having the fishing. Although I have "sort of" inherited a sitting tenant in the form of a "horsey person", (could terminate her previous agreement, but I won't) I am left thinking about setting up a small but very exclusive syndicate along the banks I now own. Great access for vehicles right down to the river, barbel fishing is er,..well,... not bad. Wink wink.

Then again, I might not bother with all the fuss, rule making etc etc and just keep it for myself and the odd "guest". Oh, and it came with one of those mobile riverside cabin thingy’s. A sort of caravan but squarer on legs. I have renamed this riverside cabin out of respect for a famous fellow barbel fisher.

The name? The Vatican, of course.

Another "up-side" to all this is that now being officially classed as a "landowner", I will be able to legitimately join and apply for tickets to the CLA ball at the game fair to once again cuddle up to those firm nubilies. And the galls as well!!

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Tony,

Unfortunately not. Like most horsey women I meet (I meet a great deal living where I do) they can tend to smell strongly of horse urine a lot of the time or saddle soap or worse. The one on "my" land (I like that, "my" land)is kind of large for her height and I swear I hear her horses go "humph" every time she saddles up. They all look so worn out when she returns from "gallops" to. To tell the truth, she is quite a formidable looking female. Make a good part time bailiff perhaps?? Wink wink.

Regards,

Lee.

Lee, as a land owner you have a duty of care to those who enter on to it, I hope you will erect a sign indicating the presence of fat Horsey lady, as they have been known to chase unsuspecting anglers round the field, also now is a good time to start brushing up on your, get orf my land!!!!!.

One further question, what sort of potential does said stretch which runs through hostile horsey woman land have Wink Wink

[ 27. January 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Tony C ]

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Dear Tony,

Horsey lady is not used to having anglers trundle across the three meadows I now own. In fact, no club, individual etc has fished these banks since the late 1970's as the previous owner had one hell of a ding dong with a very large local angling club. So anglers to her, and her other lady friends not to mention one male limp lettuce look-a-like horsey person who rides out on their "gallumping", are an oddity.

Landed gentry however, Ma Lord of the manor what what, is pleased to announce that ones country estate and its exclusive fishing is excellent.

Sticky wicky oowey goowey Bream are prolific. Roach, perch, pike and carp simply fill the stretch. And the barbel fishing is well,... not bad. There are of course like most stretches along the Trent brown trout and rumoured salmon that pop up most years.

As time goes by I suppose most dedicated Trent men will get to know its location. As such when the time arrives, all will be welcome inside the "Vatican" for a cup of tea and a chat.

Interestingly, the village nearby has a pub quite close to a gate that enters my little haven. Fortunately, the gravel road down to the river is downhill. Therefore making the walk up to the pub a sobbering one, whilst ensuring any possible unsobber walk back is a wobble in the park. Or dark as the case may be.

Get orf my land you damned waggid twousewrd wuffian!!

Regards,

Lee.

Vagabond, you're in another syndicate too - Wingham Coarse Lake! :D No problems there I hope - apart perhaps from being alone on 40 acres! As far as I know, bar myself and guests after pike, just 2 carp anglers have had a short session since August. :)

Hope to see you and Norma again soon. Bitterns are about, plus quite a few smew, both males and redheads.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net