Syndicates are they a good or bad thing

Tony 1

funny how the trents leading barbel expert has been quiet all evening, after promising to come back and pull a previous post to bits.......

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the hoohaa over the syndication of a certain barbel stretch near Milton Keynes :rolleyes: :confused: a few years ago? You'd think someone had #uggered the Pope!!

In the meantime my views have mellowed. There are times when syndication is in the best interests of both water and fish, but not always!

But at the end of the day I do believe in the general principle of open for all river fishing, but accept that sometimes syndicates are good guardians of the resorce.

[ 11. April 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

:)

Dear Peter (Mr. Waller)...and all

Understand the direction you are coming from and in the instance of the stretch at Hazelford weir it is the best bit of PR that angling and the Trent system has seen in years.....don't take my word for it......just believe this.....that a ****-hole has become a nice place to walk past.....when walkers from the general public make mention of it you know it has to be right.

Just one thing to remember about The Hazelford Piscatorial Society......it is a Society not a syndicate.

The difference...????? We have an active waiting list......and money and being a name doesn't come into it.....just like many many other angling clubs around the country who have stretches of river bank fishing within their remit.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

I think Steve that there are times when the fine line difference between a society and a syndicate is a very fine one indeed. Even syndicates have waiting lists! In both instances other anglers are excluded. But in the case of the Hazelwood P.S. I will agree that that has been in the best interests of all concerned, and well done to those involved.

When syndicates take over something that is good for purely selfish reasons then I see red. When syndicates, or societies, take over something that is pretty forth rate and build it into something worthwhile then I'm all for it.

[ 11. April 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I don't see there should be any difficulty in deciding if they are a good or bad thing for anglers in general.

If the syndicate/society in question aquired the water by taking it from another club, without their agreement, it is not right.

If it was aquired as new/freely available water or with the agreement of the holding club, that is all OK.

What we should not see is Clubs, who have managed and nurtured waters and the environmental aspects of them, then lose them because the fish have got big and the carpetbaggers move in.

Graham

One point that appears to have been overlooked is that Lee's stretch has, in his words, "not been fished or available for fishing" for years, in fact not since the 1970's.

If this is so then what are you all getting so uptight about...it would appear that it is now available to at least some anglers thanks to Lee purchasing the land, and this would be entirely consistent with his fishing for all remarks....though you cannot expect him to just let any old tom dick or harry come to fish just as and when they feel like it, no one does that do they?

Of course there may be one or two who will never get the chance!

Den

[ 11. April 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dear Den

They do if they sell day tickets.......

However.....I think you have missed the point of the debate.......it isn't really about Lee's water......or Lee's and his associates water.....but then you being a sharp tack know this already.

No gripe with you Den....you are always on the ball.

Lee answered my post about his water being used for the AN pike fish-in on a thread just after his announcement of his purchase of some river fishing along with horsey tennant....in this reply he stated that there was no fishing taking place on his river stretch.......after he had stated on the thread above that he had bought a stretch and it was for him and a few mates to fish on......so, the part statement of yours...quote....."in his words", rings a tad hollow don't you think.

As to the bit about 'one or two may never get the chance'.....I think I am one of those.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

But Lee, for all his faults, generally comes back with a smile. There is an old saying, 'don't give it if you can't take it'. To-date Lee appears to have stood by that. Still, it is a big hole! Probably be a lengthy reply Godolphin!