Advice required

Snatcher

A mate of mine has asked me to take some portrait shots of his family.Now bearing in mind I have not done this before and have no extra lighting all advice readily accepted :)

I did find out that he has a large bay window which should give me a decent light source - hopefully!

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine has asked me to take some portrait shots of his family.Now bearing in mind I have not done this before and have no extra lighting all advice readily accepted :)

I did find out that he has a large bay window which should give me a decent light source - hopefully!

John

Get yourself one of those reflector thingies!! See here Silver one side white the other. They will reflect light onto your subject and reduce shadow spoiling the shots. Your subject can hold it if you ar doing head shots. Otherwise set up a white sheet to reflect light back to the window. {I think]

Have a look at this website, you will need to register your email address, there's loads of stuff on there to help you.

In fact just got an email from them and guess what?? How to take family portraits is one of the main features.

Edited by Colin Brett

Get yourself one of those reflector thingies!! See here Silver one side white the other. They will reflect light onto your subject and reduce shadow spoiling the shots. Your subject can hold it if you ar doing head shots. Otherwise set up a white sheet to reflect light back to the window. {I think]

Have a look at this website, you will need to register your email address, there's loads of stuff on there to help you.

In fact just got an email from them and guess what?? How to take family portraits is one of the main features.

Thanks for that Colin,some good stuff on that website.I believe my services are required this Wed so no time to order a reflector.Do you think covering an ordinary brolly with tin foil would do the trick?

Camera settings anyone Manual,Av???

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Take a sheet of A4 paper to a mirror, look in the mirror and angle the paper around and you'll see it putting light on your face. This is what a reflector does. If you dont have a reflector, then a piece of board 2-3ft square will do...stick some A4 paper on one side and tin foil on the other...its cheap and chearful but is better than no reflector at all. Your aim is to use the reflector to eliminate shadows, especially around the eyes.

Always shoot from eye level or slightly above, never from below eye level as no one wants to see up noses!

Fill that frame! Get up close, fill the frame with the portrait, dont have a shot of a person or group with space around them.

Dont shoot in strong sunlight if you can help it, even if your back is to the sun, It'll make your subject squint.

Set your 400D to burst mode and take three or four shots at a time...people blink.;)

If kids are involved, have sweets (bribes) and toys (attention getters) ready. It can be especially cute if you can make a kid scream with laughter, then have the family group all look at him/her and smile.

Use your widest aperture/fastest shutter speed possible...

Shooting a family scene having them sit in a bay window can be tricky, as there will be too much light contrast (ie Bright window, darker family) so watch out for this possible contrast as it will throw your cameras metering off. Use your cameras review function to view every shot you take, dont be afraid to retake a shot, try different things etc. You cannot take too many shots, but you can be left having not taken enough.

You have a couple of days to practice, use them !

Good luck

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

An example of filling the frame, here's your shot of you and Mick.

MeandMick.jpg

Here is one I have cropped for you, and its what you should see through your viewfinder.

MeandMick1.jpg

I've just used this for example purposes.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Thanks for that input Steve :) Funnily enough your mention about using a board! I am putting down a laminate floor in the kitchen this week at some stage and have bought some floor underlay boards 590mm x 856mm. I had actually covered one of these boards with catering grade foil before I even read your reply.After reading your post I now have white paper on the reverse side.Cheers

This is my "Heath Robinson" device

1-76.jpg

Without

2-60.jpg

With

3-54.jpg

On the day will not be using a bright window as a background though :rolleyes:

So its

Av mode

Aperture as wide as possible

Burst shooting

Shutter speed as fast as possible

How about

ISO setting ?

White balance setting ?

Use a tripod ?

All tips gladly recieved and a big thanks to my lovely wife Dorothy for doing her bit :rolleyes:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

As a professional portrait photographer of many years experience(!) may I suggest that you use a tripod. Sit your model down, set up your tripod and both frame the sitter and and focus as you see fit. Now, DON'T hide behind the camera fiddling with the controls. Work at f11 so the sitter can move an inch or two either way without going out of focus. Be chatty, direct your sitter with your hands, treat them as a good friend, and, once again, don't hide behind the blo#dy camera! A portrait is about a relationship between you and the sitter, and like any good relationship you don't need a barrier. Sit the sitter where you want them, provided they don't move much then they remain in frame. DON'T EXTEND THE SITTING ANYMORE THAN YOU HAVE TO, once the sitter gets bored, once the eyes glaze over then you have lost it.

As for lighting, side light from a window is good, and yes, you can use a reflector. White is softer than silver, and don't over light them from below their nose line, most unflattering. Treat the whole affair as fun and if children are involved then NEVER say 'Smile'! Earn an expression, don't demand it. And if grandparents are involved tell them to shut up as soon as you can. The minute the grandmother starts demanding smiles then you might as well pack up! Well meaning grandmothers are generally a portrait photographer's worst enemy!!

As I say, treat it as fun. If you enjoy yourself then so will the sitter.