Carp Multiplier?!

saskcarp

Alan Taylor:

Originally posted by saskcarp:

[qb] Indeed why not!? I just wondered if they were used

in the UK and I must say that I was a little suprised to see Multi's made for carp fishing!

Sorry, just realised you are American.

quote:

Reels were made to hold line, cast it out, retrieve the line and with luck have a fish attached.but not "multi's" sorry you lost me there.

We even have anglers using Fly fishing gear to catch Carp on the surface (mainly).

Don't get steryotyped(sp) or you will end up like a lot of "anglers" after carp, 3 rods, alarms, bivvy and hope for the best.

Tight lines whatever you decide to do.

Alan,LOL!!!

[ 20. April 2003, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: saskcarp ]

The Gas

pirate.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time when the idea of using a multi for carping was out of the question, we used to fish with just the bait and no weights, so you couldn't have used one for casting any distance.

Nowadays, most carpers seem to use at least 2ounces of weight, many are using 4 ounces, so a multiplier is a viable option for casting. Even so, for the distances that are fished (up to 140yds)the F/S is just as good.

Having used both types extensively I would not consider a multi for carping simply because a F/S is much better suited, better retrieve rate,less line curl,simpler casting and so on.

Nowhere will the multi beat the F/S all round.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Brian from CAG posted me this:

The winner of the World Carp Cup in Romania last year used baitcasting reels on long euro rods. He literally outcast the field to reach the fish. Competition distance casters use baitcasters aka (multipliers). One of the benefits is reduced drag. Spinning (fixed spool) reels suffer increased friction as the line rubs against the front of the spool, especially near the end of the cast when the level of the line on the spool is the lowest. Baitcasters set the spool in motion and avoid this increasing friction.

The Gas

pirate.gif

Brian, I don't doubt that the winner did indeed outcast his rivals to win, doesn't alter the fact that a large "big pit" type F/S will cast any distance that is likely to be needed for any carp fishing.

Someone capable of distance casting with a multi (baitcasting ?) will also be capable of doing the same with a F/S, certainly up to 200+

Another aspect of this is that the restrictions of most swims mean that the short overhead thump is the best that can be achieved, and that is not what you would want to be doing with a multi :D .

There was a short time in the very early 1960's when my mate and I were casting "loaded crusts" up to 100yds and we used the multis and 15lb line with "bass" rods. These baits weighed in at over 3ounces, they were crusts wrapped in a ball of brown crump about 2.5 inches diameter. These were meant to burst on impact and leave the crust floating.

The Mitchel reels were totally unsuited to the job.

Great times those, often the ball of crust did not burst straight away and dragged the crust under the water, and while we were waiting for the crust to pop up the line would tear off with a fish on the end!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

poledark:

... Having used both types extensively I would not consider a multi for carping simply because a F/S is much better suited, better retrieve rate,less line curl,simpler casting and so on. ...

LOL - Den, I'd say pretty much the same thing except I'd substitute the words and put multi where you have F/S and vice versa.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No one seems to have mentioned that a multiplier sits on top of the rod and would be a bit of a pain when used with bit alarms.

Would be OK for stalking though, but would still prefer a pin or a fixed spool.

PS why do most multipliers have the handle on the wrong side? :)

Paul Singleton

singy:

No one seems to have mentioned that a multiplier sits on top of the rod and would be a bit of a pain when used with bit alarms.

Would be OK for stalking though, but would still prefer a pin or a fixed spool.

PS why do most multipliers have the handle on the wrong side? :)

Singy,

It makes no difference which way you have the reel on a rod in a bite alarm, as the weight of the reel will make it hang downwards anyway!.

As for the handle, all my baitcasters/multis are left hand wind just like your fixed spools, you just have to buy them that way

Have to agree with Poledark though and would prefer to fish the F/Spool at medium to long range and just use the Baitcaster or even the Centerpin at very close range as it's a lot more fun!

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

You just need the correct sort of rod pod.

casting-bank-stick.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Step forward Mr Fox :D:D

Den