What pod?

tbonejones

Here you go fella. Not the best photo in the world. The pod is not like the `flat` style of the Fox pods, I like the amount of adjustment in it. Ok, its probably not as stable as a Quattro when fished on a rock hard swim with a rod at an acute angle but 99% of the time I push the legs into the ground a couple of inches and its as steady as anything I`ve used.

Love the thing!!!!

barston2.jpg

wolf.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Severn Wolf commented he loved his pod. Well, each to their own! I hate all pods! I use them only when I have to, and as I don't fish on concrete banks these days haven't in fact used mine for ages.

The only advantage I can see is that on hard ground you haven't got to push a bankstick in and thus possibly spook a fish. It was Rudd I believe who made this valid point on a previous thread.

However, with the King's banksticks I've bought, even the hard-packed gravel in some of the Wingham swims aren't a problem. See my field test at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/king01.htm By the way, those of you who've been to Wingham will know I've had the platforms specially made with slats in them for banksticks, meaning that pods aren't needed.

We're all different of course, but I'd never personally push the legs of a pod into the ground. For me that would be the worst of both worlds. I like to set my rods as far back from the water as possible to avoid spooking fish. So in swims like in the picture I'd have all the banksticks behind the platform.

The reason I hate pods is that I much prefer to have the rod pointing at my bait whenever possible, regardless of the species I'm after. With a pod you often can't do that, particularly if your baits are spread out.

In such a situation you could miss many small knocks. You can often see these if you're watching the rod top all the time, but that's impractical during a long session. Some of these knocks are hittable, with others the fish feels the resistance and drops the bait.

So either way I believe a pod can cost you fish. If you're fishing a hard water where runs are few and far between, or in a match situation, this can make the difference between success and failure!

Additionally, I like to have my rods set high, especially when bream fishing. This is so that I can have a long drop to the bobbins. With a short drop I can't see whether a movement is a line bite or a proper take.

Of course this isn't so important when fishing self-hooking rigs, but I like to keep my options open. For instance, I won't hesitate to change rigs during a session if I reckon I need to. In fact, it's rare for me to fish a 48hour session without changing how long the the hooklength is anyway!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i completely concur with steve, i bought the xpod is a very rash moment, and hated it, i now only use bank sticks, much more flexible, and more effective.

i appreciate that if you have to fish from concrete pegs, then a pod is necessary, but apart from that one instance, i'd avoid them

Steve, I use pods a lot as the place I fish has a fair few swims with long platforms (estate lake, reeds etc). Some spots can be fished with banksticks and some need a pod or a set of four feet sticks if you`re going to be able to set the gear up in the water. I take enough gear as it is and carrying two sets of banksticks is added weight I can do without so the pod gets used 99% of the time.

The pod is just really easy to cart around in the bedchair bag and I don`t have to keep swapping the buzzers over to banksticks.

Heres a piccy where pods just ain`t gonna work!!!

heavenswim1.jpg

wolf.gif

severn wolf. hope you have two licences for all those rods. did you catch much in the tree he he lol

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

I`d have hated to get a run in there, probably either brained myself off the tree trunk or forget to put the waders on and sink never to be seen again into the silt......

Lovely spot though, no-one had fished it in years, had to rip the rotten pallet out and trample down a few brambles and nettles. Really nice.

wolf.gif

Or you can use a modern set-up like this at practically zero cost.

Rodpod.jpg

Note that you can point the rods at the baits as Steve Burke suggests. Keep the Mitchells well-oiled to facilitate churning.

You can renew the naturally camouflaged front supports from the nearest willow tree - and leave them in place ready for next time.

The rear support doubles as a bait carrier.

The drop-backs are formed from mud pellets (hard to see in the photo, but silhouetted against the water from my position on my combined seat and unhooking mat) Pellet size chosen to match wind conditions on the day.

No audible bite alarms - but as I am deaf I never use them. Sit over my rods watching for action instead.

Rods are natural fibre containing a high proportion of carbon. :P They have lasted me a lifetime.

The despair of tackle dealers everywhere, me :D

NB Small net in the picture as I was tench-fishing at the time. Have a much larger net for carp of course.

[ 22. August 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've been asked why it's important to know whether you've got a line bite. The answer is so that you don't strike.

On my last bream trip I had line bites galore. Then the bobbin went up to the butt ring for the umpteeth time, but this time stayed there. Just as I struck though it dropped down again! :mad:

The only other indication was a few seconds later on the other rod. This was the fish leaving the swim in a hurry, and leaving me with a blank!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The King's banksticks are aluminium and so are light compared with stainless steel. They're also very strong, and because of the way they work I've not had them bend in almost a season of use. One tip here is to close them up before taking them out or putting them into the ground.

I also find them quicker to set up and take apart than a pod, even my Cygnet Quicklock.

However, if there are swims where you can't use them, Severn Wolf, I take your point.

Luckilly, I don't have your problem. One of the advantages of having your own water is that you can buid the swims how you like! :cool: